Thread: Hour Meter vs. Odometer

Default Hour Meter vs. Odometer

I just bought an 07 LBZ with 247k on the odo, but 2800 hours on the engine meter. How can this be?
    email rfkjr@juno.com
    07 2500HD C/C LBZ 248k
    83 K2500 X 6.2, now 390 Stroker,18.5 & 19.5x 44 TSL\'s & Boggers,5.13w/Det.Lkrs. Mud Toy
    90 ISUZU, 350 eng, 350 trans, Double xfer cases, 2.5 Military Axles, Tractor tires

Every now and then the hour meter resets (it has done this on my '05 and on my '03). Nobody quite knows for sure why. It obviously shouldn't, but it does.

Or the previous owners drove really, really fast...

My '06 currently has 172,000 on the odo and the hour meter currently says 747 hours (It has reset several times in the 10.5 year I have owned it.

172,000/747 = 230 mph

And my daughter says I drive too slow! I can prove otherwise.
    Ed
    KM4STL

'06 Sierra LBZ 4x4 Crew SB, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, TTT/Schefenacker Mirrors
    '98 Suburban, 245,000 - sold 7-4-06

Default Hour meter

My 2006 LBZ first reset to zero hours the when the original factory batteries failed and were removed. After that I had to disconnect the batteries several times during repairs and each time it reset to zero hours. Then it started to reset to zero really often for no reason. I posted the problem on TDP and someone responded that there was a GM service bulletin that said to clean and tighten the battery cables to fix the problem. The cables were clean and tight, but I removed them and cleaned and really tightened them. The problem immediately stopped as long as I didn't disconnect the batteries. You would think that was the end of the story but a couple of years later I purchased a used computer from a wrecked 2006 D/A with the exact same p/n and had a Kennedy program installed. Now with the new to me used computer I can disconnect the batteries for weeks and the hour meter does not reset to zero. I am just glad that the truck no longer resets to zero and I hope the problem doesn't return.

The Kennedy program is not likely to have anything to do with the hour meter resetting. It is most likely in the GM programing of the computer. The Kennedy program gave the truck a nice boost in power and a nice increase in fuel mileage. Just my thoughts about the hour meter issue.
    John
    *2006 Chevy, 3500, 4X4, DRW, (LBZ) D/A, CC, LT, 252K Miles, 19.5" Wheels, Mag Hytec Transmission Pan and Differential Cover, SS Grill Guard, Racor 2 micron aux fuel filter, 100 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank, using Edge Evolution, Predator Diablosport, Kennedy ECM tune, Fitch Fuel Catalyst.

*2006 Four Winds, Dutchman, 36', RV, D/A, 5500 Kodiak.
    *1993 Harley Davidson, Turbo charged, Springer Softail.
    *2007 Pontiac Solstice.
    *2005 Jeep, Liberty, CRD (diesel).
    *Full-timing in USA, see America first.

BUY AMERICAN or CANADIAN, NOTHING from CHINA .

You'd think the program would include the same incorruptible memory as the odometer.
    In the grand scheme of things, it is certainly no big deal but if you're gonna have a feature, it should at least work. The glitchy engine hour meter doesn't seem like it has ever been reliable for anybody.