Thread: Windshield Replacement

Arrow Windshield Replacement

Safelite replaced the original windshield in my 2001 GMC last week. Overall a good experience.

I drove the truck to their facility, so they had all the time, personnel and equipment to do the job correctly. They needed about 1.5 hours.

With new Bosch wipers, the total bill came to $220.

They had replaced glass for me before (some years ago) in different vehicles, and gave me a $20 discount as a return customer. Aside from a couple of easily removed smudges of sealant on a fender, the job was super...

The original windshield had 3-4 rock chips near the top of the glass. This past winter, on a near zero but sunny day, about 4" of snow slid part way down off the roof of the truck and onto the warm glass. This caused a very uneven thermal expansion to occur, which cracked the glass in several places - wherever the rock ships were.

My wife's 04 GMC Envoy got a large rock chip on Sunday. Before I could get a chance to have it repaired, it cracked overnight from the temperature fluctuations.

My local glass shop quoted me a few dollars less then Safelite, but I've been tempted to go ahead and use Safelite since they will come to the house. However, I think I'll go with the local company since they're a small, locally-owned business and I personally know the owners.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

First since 2001? Amazing. I had them replace 3 in one year a few years back. I don't even remember how many since new, but I'm sure my insurance company does.
    Ed
    KM4STL

'06 Sierra LBZ 4x4 Crew SB, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, TTT/Schefenacker Mirrors
    '98 Suburban, 245,000 - sold 7-4-06

Typically I catch the chips and have them repaired before they run, but I've taken some nasty ones on occasion that cannot be repaired. When that happens I make sure to request a windshield with the tinted top band. You know like they used to do? Makes quite a difference.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Quote Originally Posted by EdHale View Post
    First since 2001? Amazing. I had them replace 3 in one year a few years back. I don't even remember how many since new, but I'm sure my insurance company does.
    Windshields usually last me quite a while. I do my best not to tailgate.