Thread: Head Gaskets

Default Head Gaskets

So I'm building a GEP Optima with GEP heads. I noticed that the typical 6.5 Felpros are different? Seem to only work when they are face down and there is a coolant port that is covered??

Any help is greatly appreciated

Chris

The front coolant port in the block/head should be covered by the gaskets metal piece. *** NO ACTUAL PORT IN BLOCK*** The idea is to keep coolant off the block in that area.

Coolant flows through the block from front to back and then up through the rear elongated port up into the heads, and from there forward though the heads to the coolant crossover pipe/thermostat housing and to the radiator.

Be very sure that the block does not have any metal erosion where the gaskets metal fire ring contacts the head on cyls 1 and 2 (Front two)

There is a propensity for electrolysis to cause the iron block to erode leaving a grove in the deck.

If there is a groove yhe block must be machined.

A .010" thicker gasket is available from Felpro

You can safely cut .015, but no more.

Be sure to use a fresh set of bolts if you are not using studs.

Good luck
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Thanks Robyn,

I think I got it. There are tiny holes in the head gaskets covering the coolant ports in the block and head, I'm assuming this is on purpose? Also, Im using ARP Studs and .010 over gaskets. The gaskets only fit one way with the logo/name Felpro face down. Is this typical?

Thanks again

The small holes are "steam holes" and are there to allow any trapped air to escape. Been a while since I've messed with a 6.5 head gasket job, but the gaskets dictate which way they are placed.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!