Thread: Anyone do any J2534 Programming?

Default Anyone do any J2534 Programming?

Howdy,

I was just wondering if anyone in the forum does any J2534 programming using GDS2 or Tech2win....and what J2534 box you use with your computer? I am considering getting one of these: [removed]

Yes, I know it's cheapie-Chinese, but I only own GM vehicles, so something like a Bosch VCI is a.) out of my price range and b.) overkill, as I don't own other makes of vehicles (for now.)

Just wondering if there are any folks out there in the forum that swap ECU's, PCM's, FICM's, etc... and program them.

FYI, this would be for a 2013 Duramax and a 2012 Chevy Cruze.

Mike Doerner
    Last edited by DmaxMaverick; 03-05-2017 at 08:09. Reason: commercial link

Arrow

That's a $10 ebay item. Wired (Ethernet), WiFi, USB, Bluetooth. They work and I use them with PC or smart phone. I prefer the ELM327 Bluetooth adapter. Torque is a free app with lots of functions. There's a long list of apps for PC/Mac, many of them free.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

I already have that (ELM adapter). You can't program with torque. Can you use the bluetooth adapter to do Tech2win or GDS2?

Mike Doerner

Arrow

Torque does everything, and more, that is claimed at the site you linked. Torque Pro does even more. Programming is completely different. The adapters are only an interface, and are capable of whatever access is throughput them (it's a data stream, not switch-flipping), only limited to their technology capability (a CanBus capable will read/write CanBus, but previous technologies will not). There are several software options available for calibration building and loading, but they are independent of the interface.

That said, the cheap software programming solutions will get you just enough to break your truck, without warning. The more costly solutions (EFI Live) will do the same, but does so with warnings and caveats. It's best to use solutions that take advantage of established and proven calibrations. Kennedy offers several reliable options.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Yeah I'm just curious what the benefit is to this? An interface to program, but what will you actually load for programming and how would you edit it?

Any good tuning worth having will be copy protected and there will be no way to apply copy protection through whichever interface you are using.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

If you replace a fuel control injection program, you have to program it, correct? That's the point. This isn't a performce thing, it's a DIY replace an ECM or FCIM or whatever without having to go to the dealer and have it done.

Mike Doerner

The FICM is not something that gets programmed. The ECM does not need reprogramming typically. The cost and hassle to do this outweighs the benefit. Add to that you need to obtain the proper stock file from somewhere. To do this you'd need a dealer login or a paid subscription to some sort of system that supported TIS.

Unless I'm still missing something???
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
    The FICM is not something that gets programmed. The ECM does not need reprogramming typically. The cost and hassle to do this outweighs the benefit. Add to that you need to obtain the proper stock file from somewhere. To do this you'd need a dealer login or a paid subscription to some sort of system that supported TIS.

This was what I was alluding to. I think he's trying to make lemonade with turnips, or promoting a product (which isn't allowed here, as you know). The (commercial) link I removed was for a wired OBD II - PC adapter. Nothing special, and WAY overpriced. They (offshore) are also selling "packaged" open source and proprietary software that will not do what he is asking, although I don't think he understands what he is asking.

If a backup or clone of an ECM is what he is after, then there are lots of ways to do that. But like you said, the correct OEM calibration has to come from somewhere. Custom or modified calibrations are entirely different.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Wow....not promoting a product. If you can't answer the Tech2Win or GDS2 question....I'm in the wrong place.

Mike Doerner

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post

$55 for 3 day Tech2win access, or $57 for 3day GDS2 access. If I can't talk hardware (i.e. moderator deleting VXDIAG link) on how to J2534, then there's no point in me being here.

Mike Doerner

I still don't get it. $55 access plus hardware, plus time plus??? to load a stock file to an ECM? I've done this job many times over the years rescuing people who lost their ECM due to an errant flash from a cheap handheld tuner.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner

Not talking about a cheap hand held tuner, I'm talking about the "VXDIAG GM" module (which is like a Bosch VCI)...and using GM's software on a PC to flash (or re-flash) a module....using Tech2Win or GDS2.

Now maybe VXDIAG is cheap, but if it has full J2534 functionalty, why spend $1500+ on a Bosch VCI.

I'll post a link again so long as the moderator doesn't delete it. Otherwise Google "VXDIAG GM".

Mike Doerner

I guess what I'm trying to say is that this sounds like a lot of hoops to jump through just to load a stock file to an ECM considering a dealer or an aftermarket shop can do this so simply. Once the tuning is updated (if there are even updates available) you'll not need it again as GM is not in the habit of updating software for vehicles much past the first year or two of service.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner