Thread: Typewriter? Noisy Lifter? Injector pump? WTF?

Question Typewriter? Noisy Lifter? Injector pump? WTF?

The truck is a 1998 GMC K3500 6.5TD Crew Long SRW

I have your typical Knock, knock diesel​ purr and god awesome typical cold starts but, also a loud ticking. I can hear it in the cab, it is constant, doesn't change when hot or cold at idle. Doesn't​ get louder or at least I don't think it is when driving, when the rpms come down I can hear it come back again or at least it sounds like it never stopped ticking. I was looking at injector pumps assuming it was mechanically​ injected, so I assumed it was fine. I now learned it was 92-93 that was more mechanically​ injected

I'm new to ownership, new to diesels but, I'm all to familiar with Chev gas jobbies. I've put 5k on the truck and I'm not sure if I foolishly bought the truck with this noise or if I just have bad luck and this noise just started.... Honestly can't remember in the last two months, just now its driving me crazy to know.

Welcome to The Diesel Page.

The DS4 electronic fuel injection pump incorporates components that would look familiar to those who have seen inside the DB2 mechanical. And, both make a hella racket when running on a test/recal bench. There's a lot going on inside them.

A running engine tends to mask a lot of noise that the pump makes, but not all.

If you're new to the sound of the 6.5, I suspect what you're hearing may be normal. It's when a new noise appears either slowly or suddenly that a long-time 6.5 owner would pick up on.

Now, these engines need to have their oil changed about every 3000 miles (or about 5000 km) to control the amount of soot accumulating in the engine oil. The first engine components to feel the effect of too much soot can be the hydraulic valve lifters.

Jim

Got a test for you.

Get a helper and try this.

Have the helper use a heavy leather glove and hold their hand on the rear area of the turbo shield (sheet metal cover over the hot side of the turbo)

Listen inside as the helper presses against or removes hand from the heat shield.

I have seen several 6.5's that make a nasty clicking noise.

What it is are the injectors closing and the sound carries out and the tin cover magnifies and projects it.

See if this exposes your gremlin.
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Howdy
    Another possible is the injector line isolators. If you look at the valve covers you will see the lines and each set of two will have a small clamp the holds them to a bracket. Make sure all the clamps have rubber inside them and also are screwed down tight.

Good luck!
    1996 Chvy 3500 CCDWLB 6.5 Heathed, NO vac, marine injctrs, ARB bumper, BIG pipe, 3" lift, bright lights, bypass oil system.
    1986 Chvy 6.2 M1009 blazer RAM AIR, Headers, Custom interior
    2001 Chinook RV, V10 gas
    1974 John Deere 1530 diesel tractor
    1993 John Deere 455 Diesel lawn mower
    1967 GTO, 1989 Honda Transalp
    2009 VW Jetta TDI, flashed and piped, 6speed, fun car!
    1998 6.5 suburban, stock, daughter's
    1993 6.5 3500 CCSWLB GM8, Heathed, big exhaust, gauges, Son's

1984 6.2 ATS turbo 3500, SCDWLB - Son's
    3 kids, 1 wife, 1 dog
    Gunsmith, Tactics Instructor, Fabricator USMC 87-93 Semper Fi!