Thread: A arm Suspension Question?

Default A arm Suspension Question?

Hey y'all...

Ok, so it's been awhile but here is my new problem... 99 k2500 8 lug suburban 6.5...

I have a 2" leveling kit on it, but it is wearing out ball joints, tie rods, etc... now I am not able to get the tires straight (aligned)...

I AM TRYING TO FIND UPPER A ARMS THAT ARE CORRECTED/Extended to fix the problem...

It looks like airbagit.com make something but I have never heard of them...

I dont want to remove the 2" leveling kit because I like the look of it and can't afford the 2k for the rcd, fabtech, tuff country, etc.. just looking for solution for upper A arms.

Thanks again

Mike

Arrow

Either get a real lift, or live with short-lived ball joints, CV joints, pitman arms, etc, etc. That's the price of a short-cut. You'll be money ahead with the real thing, that keeps everything aligned. Otherwise, keep replacing parts. BTW, 2" can be had with the stock cam adjusters, almost every time, for free. Same result, though. "Leveling kits" are almost always snake oil.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Default hmmm...

Well I guess I will look into the SAS swap again, I didnt want to spend the money but in the long run I am leaning that way... Mainly because I may down the road try a different motor in the burb after the 6.5 is dead...

Thanks for the info, I will replace the parts for now...

Mike

AKMark is offline Building another 6.2L powered vehicle

I know several people who have installed leveling kits on several types of vehicles, and ALL of them have had problems.

Either lift it the right way. (SAS is cool) or leave it stock. If you gonna tow, leave it stock.

I have a young friend that cannot seem to help himself and always lifts things then wonders why they don't tow for crap afterward.....
    05 2500HD CC LB LLY, 4x4, 3.73s 235/85R16's, webasto cab heater, to keep it warm.
    03 Buick Rendezvous - When you average over 80 miles per day driving around, you need one of these.
    85 K-5, 6.2, SM465, Rockwell T221, 1 tons, 36's. More goodies to be installed as time and money allows.
    82 K20, 6.2, SM465, NP208, stock except for bed rack, snow plow, and glow plugs are on a toggle switch. It works great for plowing!
    72 Postal Jeep - Yet another project

Quote Originally Posted by scot5146 View Post
    I dont want to remove the 2" leveling kit because I like the look of it and can't afford the 2k for the rcd, fabtech, tuff country, etc.. just looking for solution for upper A arms.
    Quote Originally Posted by scot5146 View Post
    Well I guess I will look into the SAS swap again, I didnt want to spend the money but in the long run I am leaning that way... Mainly because I may down the road try a different motor in the burb after the 6.5 is dead.
    You can't afford to lift it properly, but you're looking at a solid axle swap ($$$$) and a engine swap? And how does doing a SAS better prepare you for doing an engine swap down the road? A SAS usually requires more lift so that the solid axle clears the oil pan.
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

AKMark is offline Building another 6.2L powered vehicle

I missed that part....

Agree though, if you cannot afford to lift it properly, how can you afford to lift it any other way? New driveshafts and all related parts are spendy.

Remove the leveling kit. Seriously, they are crap.
    05 2500HD CC LB LLY, 4x4, 3.73s 235/85R16's, webasto cab heater, to keep it warm.
    03 Buick Rendezvous - When you average over 80 miles per day driving around, you need one of these.
    85 K-5, 6.2, SM465, Rockwell T221, 1 tons, 36's. More goodies to be installed as time and money allows.
    82 K20, 6.2, SM465, NP208, stock except for bed rack, snow plow, and glow plugs are on a toggle switch. It works great for plowing!
    72 Postal Jeep - Yet another project

Default sorry...

I did not explain my self very well... The Ifs kits all cost about 2k if done right, if I have to spend that much I would rather do the solid axle swap.

I also was considering a Cummins down the road, I have a handle on one for super cheap...

Anyway, thanks all for the advice!

Mike

Typically the leafs you would use in a SFA swap would give you the lift you need, and since youre welding you can use any leafs you want so its just a matter of shakle/ blocking the rear to match depending on tire size... But IIRC the front suspension has camber adjustments, which if its a torsion (spelling? sorry for the ignorance if im wrong bars the raising it only increases the camber in the front, and there should be adjustments to reduce camber. or so the case was on my k1500suburban. Sorry if this was in no way helpful
    1994 Ext Cab C2500 6.5T, the begginning of my dive into the world of diesels
    3" Straight pipe, sets car alarms off...who woulda thought?