Thread: 2001 Injectors - Self Healing?

Arrow 2001 Injectors - Self Healing?

My truck now has about 115,000 miles on it. A couple of years ago this truck began setting injector related trouble codes - like P0302 and sometimes P0089/93. This code setting process was getting worse as time passed - over about a 2-year time period. It looked like the engine had a bad #2 injector. The engine also ran a little rough and we frequently smelled the acrid gases of incomplete combustion in the cab. I began preparing for an injector replacement.

For most of the truck's life I had used some sort of fuel treatment - mostly Stanadyne and/or Power Service. I also used some ATF. Once the code setting began I stopped adding anything to the fuel. Then... the problem went away all on its own.

It's been more than 6 months since the codes went away and the engine returned to running smoothly and normally.

Some could argue that the ATF might have fouled the injectors. Maybe. I also think the problem could be attributed to an easy life in a cool environment. I know that the 6.2L/6.5L diesels I've owned all ran smoother after a towing trip where the engine was worked hard or a period of time and number of miles. I know that hotter combustion temperatures and higher fuel flow rates help clean the injectors, though I haven't towed with this '01 GMC for quite a while.

We'll see what develops....

Had the same experience, documented elsewhere here in TDP forums with my 2001 K2500HD. It got the first warranty set at 170k miles, and only 80k or so more was smoking at idle. I'd treat the fuel with ATF, and the smoking would go away for a few thousand miles. That was still the case, no worse, no better at 280k or so when I sold her and last I knew she was north of 300K and still running like a top.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

A couple of years ago I received a phone call from a member who was a diesel shop owner.

He told me that one of his Duramax owning customers added a little ATF religiously to every tank of fuel. For some reason his truck came in for an injector replacement, and the shop owner had an opportunity to carefully examine the injectors, knowing about the ATF use.

What he reported was that the moving parts of the injectors were clean and looked normal. He said that injectors from trucks that were run without any fuel treatment always produced a film of residue on the moving parts that may have in some cases caused the injector failure.

His conclusion.... Adding ATF helped to keep the injectors clean.

Default injectors

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    .... I also think the problem could be attributed to an easy life in a cool environment. I know that the 6.2L/6.5L diesels I've owned all ran smoother after a towing trip where the engine was worked hard or a period of time and number of miles. I know that hotter combustion temperatures and higher fuel flow rates help clean the injectors, though I haven't towed with this '01 GMC for quite a while.....
    FWIW, my '04 LB7 is my first high mileage (115k) diesel, and I find it seems to run more smoothly towing the 38' trailer than it does bobtailing around town.

Back a couple of decades ago, a local trucker and I talked about my 6.2L diesel pickup that I owned at the time. He told me then that diesels were meant to work hard and that a life of leisure isn't good for a diesel engine. I chalked it up to his experience being all with OTR trucking and not light-duty diesels.

While I think modern high-pressure common rail consumer diesels are still different than over the road truck diesels, there may be some truth to the notion that diesels need to work hard - at least every now and then...

When you hook the trailer to the 2001 the P0093 will likely come back. It tends to be load related.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
    When you hook the trailer to the 2001 the P0093 will likely come back. It tends to be load related.
    You're likely right. I have no illusions that whatever caused the original codes has permanently fixed itself. It's more an interesting factoid in the grand scheme of things.

The P0093 is easily fixed with ECM programming and no hard parts provided your injectors are not really bad. Even then it seems once the P0093 bug bites parts changing will not fix it.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.

Does 2 cycle oil work as well as ATF ??
    2005 Chevy 2500HD, CC, SB, 4X4, Duramax, ARE Topper, 60 gallon RDS toolbox/tank combo, Kennedy Headlight Booster, Isspro pyrometer and boost gauges, EGR Blocker, PCV Kit, Bilsteins, 265 Michelin MS-2, TTS Exhaust, pulling 35' Jayco travel trailer.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Roy W View Post
    Does 2 cycle oil work as well as ATF ??
    I know that synthetic 2-cycle oil tends to keep pistons, rings and combustion areas clean in a 2-cycle engine. This is partly because of the higher combustion temperature of synthetic when compared to petroleum based 2-cycle oil. There may be other additives in synthetic that help too.

Better results through chemistry.... The chemistry used in approved diesel fuel additives provides better lubricity and cleaning than do urban legend type fuel treatments. And, when treating according to directions, could be less expensive over the long haul.

That said, I don't have a problem with those who want to use ATF or 2-cycle oil as a fuel treatment. I just think there are better choices.

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    Better results through chemistry.... The chemistry used in approved diesel fuel additives provides better lubricity and cleaning than do urban legend type fuel treatments. And, when treating according to directions, could be less expensive over the long haul.

Well said.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner

Regarding fuel additives, do you believe lubricity is the greater concern? Or is the additive's cleaning ability as important?

Reason I'm asking: One new engine supplier (known to this forum) mentioned to me that I could use "low-ash, 2-cycle snowmobile oil" as a good fuel lubricity additive. (aka: "snowmachine" oil, here in Alaska) From what little I've read, it should meet API-TC ratings (not merely TC-W3). If it's a mineral-based oil, it's supposed to stay well-mixed with diesel in cold weather.

Other well-respected product suppliers (also known to this forum) use diesel fuel treatments with lubricity additives included.

On YouTube, there are some "lubricity tests" utilizing a simulated bearing being skidded across a rotating race, with force being applied and measured using a torque wrench lever. Scarring of the bearing surface is less with certain products. I'm left wondering if these tests are even applicable for fuel treatment lubricity purposes.

Thought the good folks, here, would know best.
    1993 Chev K3500 4x4 CC/LB, L65 6.5L TD, 4L80E, 4.10 ratio axles (GT5 w/G80 posi) LT245/75R16 single rear wheels, GVWR=9200 lbs