Thread: duramax 6.6 2008

Default duramax 6.6 2008

anyone on here a duramax exspert looking at buying 2008 gmc 5500 ambulance 1 motor replaced 1of 2011 2nd one replaced 11 of 2011 had 130,000 at second replace truck no has 200,000 any thoughts is this truck a lemon or motors junk nned imput before i buy thanks in advance.

Arrow

Welcome to the Forums!

Ambulance/fire is about as severe as severe duty gets. As far as miles go, drivetrain use is about double that of the actual "normal" use, and triple for the engine. 200K in 7 years is a LOT of heavy use for ambulance duty, especially if it's inner-city. The upside is, they are usually very well maintained, and often get new engines and other drivetrain components when otherwise unnecessary.

I suggest looking at the package as a whole. If it runs good now, and the rest of the chassis is good, then it will likely be fine for a long time under "normal" duty. If it has any steering/suspension issues, count on (at least) a full replacement of all the components very soon, although they've likely been replaced at least once, probably 2 or 3 times prior. It depends on how much use it's seen since, and how you intend to use it. If you intend to continue similar duty, it won't be much of a bargain, at any price.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Regardless of use it is not common to have the engine replaced once let alone twice unless there is something VERY wrong. The question is what?
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Arrow

Locate an (any) ambulance service, and try to discuss general vehicle service and longevity with their service manager. They'll likely tell you all about vehicle life and service, and how the Duramax compares to the Powerstroke.

Default duramax

tried that most have hr meter this one doesnt thanks

The hour meter in mine reset itself back to zero when it had approx 2,000 hours on it. I have no idea why, but I wouldn't put a lot of trust in those meters unless they have improved their reliability since my 2006.
    Ed
    KM4STL

'06 Sierra LBZ 4x4 Crew SB, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, TTT/Schefenacker Mirrors
    '98 Suburban, 245,000 - sold 7-4-06

Ed, the hour meter on my 2006 also was resetting for no reason. I found a post here on the DP that GM has a service bulletin out for this problem. The GM fix is to clean and tighten the battery terminals. My terminals were clean and tight but I cleaned them and tightened VERY tight and the problem went away. Additionally, if I disconnected both batteries the HM also reset to zero. There is nothing you can do to avoid that reset. There is something odd about SOME of the 2006 ECMs. Last year I bought a used ECM (same p/n) and had John Kennedy reprogram it and it will not reset the HM to zero when you disconnect both batteries. ???????
    *2006 Chevy, 3500, 4X4, DRW, (LBZ) D/A, CC, LT, 252K Miles, 19.5" Wheels, Mag Hytec Transmission Pan and Differential Cover, SS Grill Guard, Racor 2 micron aux fuel filter, 100 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank, using Edge Evolution, Predator Diablosport, Kennedy ECM tune, Fitch Fuel Catalyst.

*2006 Four Winds, Dutchman, 36', RV, D/A, 5500 Kodiak.
    *1993 Harley Davidson, Turbo charged, Springer Softail.
    *2007 Pontiac Solstice.
    *2005 Jeep, Liberty, CRD (diesel).
    *Full-timing in USA, see America first.

BUY AMERICAN or CANADIAN, NOTHING from CHINA .

Mine has only reset one time several years ago. I don't remember if I was changing batteries then on not, but I always remove the passenger side battery to change the fuel filter so maybe in the driver side battery had slightly loose terminal connections during one of the filter changes? I have no clue, but my overall average speed over ground with the new hour indications shows I drive much too fast with an overage average speed of 78.
    Ed
    KM4STL

'06 Sierra LBZ 4x4 Crew SB, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, TTT/Schefenacker Mirrors
    '98 Suburban, 245,000 - sold 7-4-06