Thread: 03 Gmc 3500 Cummins Conversion

Default 03 Gmc 3500 Cummins Conversion

Hello, does anyone know of a cummins conversion for a 03 gmc 1ton duramax? Thanks.....chad

Arrow

I haven't heard of one yet, but there very well could be. Cummins conversions are somewhat popular for the Ford trucks. I am curious though... why are you considering it?

Jim

Default cummins repower

I want a mechanically injected engine, with fuel economy, durability and power...

You've not mentioned the current condition of the 03 Duramax/GMC. I'd just trade in the GMC for a Dodge and be done with it, rather than ending up with some sort of a Rube Goldberg concoction. You may be sailing in uncharted waters with a Cummins/Duramax swap. If you've been really good, maybe Santa will bring you a new Dodge Ram for Christmas.
    2009 GMC Sierra, 2500HD, Crew Cab, 4WD, D-MAX
    2009 Chevy Malibu LT, V6
    2005 Jayco 323RKS, 3600W Onan Generator

Quote Originally Posted by rockin-b-farms View Post
    I want a mechanically injected engine, with fuel economy, durability and power...
    While it isn't something a lot of states look at, the conversion you're proposing wouldn't fly with the federal EPA. i.e. It's illegal to install an older engine into a newer vehicle. It's also illegal to install a mechanical fuel injection system on a formerly electronic engine.

California will begin diesel emissions testing in 2010, with a requirement for testing every 2 years. A "test" includes both a visual (to check for proper equipment) and a snap-idle test for tailpipe emissions opacity. With the current EPA, expect something like this to possibly come to all 50 states.

Jim

Default Cummins Swap

My o3 gmc duramax has 187,000 on it and it smokes, the dealer is not sure if its oil or injection system, i have no loss of oil on my dipstick anyway, no smoke while driving but smokes bad at idle. I assume it is the fuel, the smoke smells like diesel... I was just thinking of the swap as a possiblity.....chad

Sounds like the infamous injector problems. If that's the problem, it'll be expensive but still a lot cheaper than installing a Cummins.

As mentioned, California has diesel emissions testing in the works for 2010 however, it'll be for 1998 and newer diesel equipped vehicles. For this reason and the $600+ per year truck license tax, I keep my older diesel Suburbans running.

Default emission testing

In oklahoma we do not do any type of inspections on are vehicles not even lights tires belts etc........chad

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by rockin-b-farms View Post
    My o3 gmc duramax has 187,000 on it and it smokes, the dealer is not sure if its oil or injection system, i have no loss of oil on my dipstick anyway, no smoke while driving but smokes bad at idle. I assume it is the fuel, the smoke smells like diesel... I was just thinking of the swap as a possiblity.....chad
    Sounds like an injector issue....

Jim

SOunds like injectors to me as well. I'm hoping the new BOSCH units that were updated in 08+ are better as that is what is in mine now. the CUMMINS swap is doable, and you can even keep your ALLISON transmission, but the question is why? The DURAMAX is a fine engine and has relatively few problems with all things considered. Yes the 01-04 LB7's have had a bad track record with injectors, but that is about all you hear bad about them. If it worries you that much, then you could swap in an LLY engine. But again, why?
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, 3.42 gears, 261 T-case
    Trans has a mild build with ALOT of help from MIKE L. which included ALTO's for C1-C4 and a PI ML converter
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust with a CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, EFILIVE, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Default why

I just have never been a fan of computer controlled engines, these injectors for example, if they were the mechanical type they would be easy to get to and cheap... I have had cam and crank position sensors fail on me and leave me stranded especially on the 7.3 ford.. I have had mechanical engines have problems but i was always able to drive home... One thing i find odd on my duramax is the engine is noisy, but when you hit high rpms usually in the 3000 range all the noise goes away instantly and when you slow down or let off the throttle it comes back.... Even when the noise (kind off a clatter) goes away it still accelerates fine and remains quiet as long as the rpms remain high.....chad