Thread: 6.5t into a 1991 6.2 suburban

Default 6.5t into a 1991 6.2 suburban

What all is involved with installing a 6.5 turbo diesel out of my 97extended cab Chevrolet into my 1991 Chevy suburban with 6.2 diesel. My 6.2 is locked up an since I have the 97 with motor an all I figured I would put that into my ol square body suburban an help would be great some pics would be awesome

What kind of tranny is in your Suburban? If its got a 700r4, you might want to also swap the tranny.
    1990 ¾ ton 4x4 Chevy Suburban
    -Cummins Diesel - 12 valve - factory rebuilt
    -6 speed bullet proof manual transmission - NV5600
    -Gear Vendors Overdrive
    -Upgraded Holset HX-35 turbo
    -NP205 iron transfer case
    -3.73 gears

1982 ½ ton Chevy Suburban
    -6.2L diesel - high nickle crack free 1982 block
    -Stans headers
    -Ported heads
    -Timing gear
    -4 speed automatic
    -3.08 gears
    -30 mpg on freeway

It does have the 700r4 but the 97 has a rebuilt 4l80e an I already have a transfer case I can use to go behind it. Just need help to hook everything up an make it work

Arrow

You'll need to relocate the turbo, or the A/C evaporator (turbo is easiest). You'll also need to swap over the wiring harness to accommodate the electronic fuel system, tranny and instrumentation. Other things too, but they're relatively minor.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Thanks dmaxmaverick you know of any complete right ups on this type conversion with pics an some step by step stuff. I would need to use a fuel inject fuel tank out of a tbi sub correct. I put the 6.2 an all it's wiring in my 91 sub. An then discovered the motor had seized from setting almost ten years. So I figure how hard can it be to put the. Newer 6.5t in it I got a complete parts truck. But not sure what is involved to make it an the 4l80e work in the sub.

Arrow

You have a couple options with the 4L80E. Buy a stand-alone controller, or swap over all the electronics and wire harness. You'll have to do that for the EFI engine anyway, or convert it to MFI. If you intend to EVER convert to a mechanical fuel system, it will never be easier than during your conversion. That will eliminate most of the electronic stuff and harness swap. This changes the tranny control options a bit, but much easier if you use a stand-alone controller.

The fuel tank will be fine, if it's in good condition. You'll need to install the Diesel tank sender and return line, though.

There are lots of pics here, and other sites. Try a search. To relocate the turbo, you can fab your own plumbing, or use a Banks exhaust manifold/crossover system for that body series (82-91). They often go for cheap on Ebay, or a member here may have one laying around collecting dust.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Like many here, I've owned both MFI and EFI GM diesels. (I love the extra power I can get with the newer 6.5 with a Kennedy tune.....BUT.... If I were in your shoes, I'd convert now to MFI, get a stand a lone controller for the 4L80E and enjoy the Burb. No worrying about all the electronics, connectors and such.
    Long run consistence of the MFI system just can't be beat.
    Dave
    Dave, N9LOV
    Member #242
    Dave's Diesels:
    Sold June, 07 '82 1/2 ton 4X4;340k miles
    '97 2 Dr Tahoe, Intercooled,
    Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
    '02 GMC

So which is better the mfi or Efi for the 6.5t an how would I go about changeling to Efi to mfi on my 97 model motor

Arrow

The differences are mostly preference, and simplicity. There are some gains with EFI, if your goal is maximum power (easier to get with programming). An optimally configured MFI can match that, but requires significantly greater planning. Mileage can be equal between them, but again, it depends on planning and configuration. For the purpose of simplicity and reliability, MFI is usually preferred, and what the military (HMMWV) requires. A mechanical system, plainly, has fewer things to go wrong, and is more simple to make repairs when something does go wrong.

To start with:

Source a 4911 IP, or use the pump currently on your 6.2L (turn it up a bunch, though). The 6.2L pump will work fine, but it probably won't last as long, for a number of reasons. You'll also need a set of injector lines for your pump/injector combination. Start shopping for a good 4911 pump (the pump used for 92+ MFI).

Install a mechanical wastegate control. Turbomaster is OK.

1985+ glow plug controller.

Correct throttle cable (meaning, you don't have to install the electronic APP from the 97). The original in the 1991 may fit, I don't know.

Use the ignition coil wire to power the IP. Install 6.2L temp senders for HPCA (cold start timing advance) and GP control.

Install a relay for lift pump operation (using the OPS to relay). Or, install a mechanical fuel pump.

There are other trivial things to consider, but a mechanical system will be more friendly with the gasser you are converting. Search the forums for other instances of this conversion. There are several. Try to keep it simple. If I were doing a conversion today, what I've stated above is the direction I would go. I don't care much for the EFI system, although the one I have has been essentially trouble-free and extremely reliable.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

You'll also have driveline changes since the 4L80E is longer than the 700R4.
    1990 ¾ ton 4x4 Chevy Suburban
    -Cummins Diesel - 12 valve - factory rebuilt
    -6 speed bullet proof manual transmission - NV5600
    -Gear Vendors Overdrive
    -Upgraded Holset HX-35 turbo
    -NP205 iron transfer case
    -3.73 gears

1982 ½ ton Chevy Suburban
    -6.2L diesel - high nickle crack free 1982 block
    -Stans headers
    -Ported heads
    -Timing gear
    -4 speed automatic
    -3.08 gears
    -30 mpg on freeway

source a 93 4l80e controller,.its a mfi pump with a tps that runs the tcm for the 4l80e,.
    1993 trucks only,. some later school buses.

Nick
    1999 chev suburban C2500
    300,000 mi