Thread: Hi, diesel59Ranchero? Here, any motor ideas?

Default Hi, diesel59Ranchero? Here, any motor ideas?

Ok, so I've got a '59 Ranchero and the motor is not original. I've thought about the obvious ones that "should fit easily" like a 6.2 or 6.5 Detroit Diesel out of an old 80's Chevy but want not to use Chevy. No offense Chevy guys, I have a 1972 C10 short/wide I'm thinking about that configuration for.

So I'd like something that would push this low slung cruiser with ease and great gas mileage. Most likely will be my daily driver. '79/'80s chevrolet a/GMCs used the 6.354 and that seems like the best candidate so far.

So, I guess I'm hoping there is a '59 Ford person around here that is familiar with the engine compartment of a Ranchero/Galaxie type car and what might work best in it. I'm open to modifying the firewall and floorboard and if not too crazy the crossmember under the engine area. The exterior will be plain Jane with the exception of lowered stance and 16" Torque Thrust like wheels.

Ok, fire away please. Engine and transmission suggestions greatly appreciated!

Will

Would be a fun project! Options are few if a GM 6.2/6.5 diesel isn't a first choice. The International/Navistar 6.9L/7.3L diesels were used by Ford beginning in 1983 for their F250/350 pickups, but the engines are pretty heavy and larger than would fit compfortably.

If this was a higher budget project, I'd suggest a more modern automotive diesel like that used by Jeep, Mercedes, VW, etc. It would be a somewhat more complicated conversion, but the end result would be worth it if there's the commitment to see it through. Keep us posted. Jim

Default Diesel 59 Ranchero?

Thanks for the reply and the support. I've located an old 82 pickup with a 354 already in it, guy says its a factory install. It's been sitting for about 10 years or so and the price is crazy. Plan is to leave it in its current body and running/driving/stopping and use it. The ranchero will be undergoing rust repair etc. over the next several months. Once most of the body work is done, ill source a motor to replace the donor motor so fitting issues can be addressed and tidied up before final complete paint job and rebuilding the diesel motor and the transmission.
    The 354 is comparable in weight to some of the big FE motors Ford had in some of the 58-59 galaxies so sourcing suitable coil springs "shouldn't" be a problem. I really want to add turbo but haven't found a source for the manifold to support it. I'll also have to find out what will be needed in addition to the manifold and turbo to operate it safely/correctly: should read - not grenade it.
    Thanks for your response.
    Will

Default Cummins 4BT

A Cummins 4BT would fit perfectly in that application and might even be a bolt in proposition with a change to 300 six mount brackets.

A Nissan SD-33 T fits in there, or a 6at3.4 from a ups truck with the Ford adapter and flywheel they also had Ford mounts to replace the 300 six. I use the Ford mounts in my '67 c-10. If you Google diesel ranchero one might show up.