I recently emailed the Connecticut Dept. of Motor Vehicles with two qestions;1.How does replacing a gas engine in a 1995 truck with a diesel engine from a l996 truck affect registration, and 2. how is the 1995 truck tested for emissions. The response I got was that only an engine that was originally available in a vehicle could be put into that vehicle for registration purposes, and the recipient vehicle would be tested as it was originally equipped, regardless of what engine was in it, gas or diesel.
Has anybody else run into this situation? My questions to DMV were only hypothetical, as I haven't decided whether to keep the 86 Suburban or do an engine transplant into a newer truck. I do know of one Chevy truck that has a Cummins in it, which was not originally available in any Chevy that I know of. I also know of quite a few vehicles that have custom built gas engines which are far bigger than those originally avaiable, including one late 70's Mustang II that carries well over 400 hp in it, and is driven on the street.
I'd like to hear from anybody that has run into this situation and how it was resolved.
Thanks