Thread: 89 K5 5.7 to 6.5TD

Default 89 K5 5.7 to 6.5TD

Working on converting gas to diesel in a 89 Jimmy. I need wiring diagrams for an 89 K5 6.2 diesel. The engine is a 6.5TD out if a 92 C3500 so it has the mechanical pump but what I'm wondering is how to wire up cold start high idle using harness from 5.7 gas. Should I just put it on a switch? I'm installing a push button for the glow plugs. And need to run a vacuum pump for my heater controls. Will a cam driven vacuum pump from a 6.2 work or do I have to go with the belt driven pump? Also it looks as if I have to remove heater/ac box from firewall. Any info on this? If I just remove box and plate the firewall how do I run my blower motor for heat? I already know that the axles won't hold up and I need hydraulic brake booster. Have all the parts. Just waiting to get engine together to drop in. I just need advice and/or pics of one of these already installed.

It's been a few years since I last messed around with a non electronic engine but I hope this helps. Check on the RHS cylinder head near the front side towards the fender. There might be what looks like a temperature sender unit with two connector blades. If there is, this should be a switch that senses when the engine is cold enough to need the cold start and gives a positive feed for the fast idle and cold start setting. I can check a 94 6.5 that I have sitting waiting for a future project to see where the sensor switch if you cannot find this on the engine you have.

Regards

Jim

Ya I do have that temp switch on there and my thought was the same thing but wasn't really sure. Thanks.

If your 5.7 was a throttle body, the two red leads into the injectors are a good source. Route one through the temp sender on the passenger side head and then to your cold start valve. Use the other to energize the pump. Both are switched and are big enough to handle the amps.

Brakes are another thing. Does your truck already have the hydro- boost brakes or are they vacuum? If they are vacuum brakes I would suggest you find a hydro-boost system. You can run them with the vacuum pump but they are problematic unless you have a BIG vacuum reservoir (70s era Ford cars had a thing that looked like a big soup can under the hood for vacuum. That's what I used)and a good check valve.

Bill
    91 Buick Roadmaster/Avant 6.2 NA conversion (gone but not forgotten)
    94 Cadillac Fleetwood (sold)
    08 Aerolight 23TT
    06 Vortec Max Silverado CC SB (sold)
    10 Avalanche (electronic quagmire but love the truck)

Ya I'm running a hydro boost setup. And disk brakes in the rear so I have a lot to change there also. I'm trying to source a harness from a 6.2 to hook up engine sensors and hopefully my guages will still work. Also I'm looking for an ECM to control trans and hopefully I can get a plug and play system. If not I'll run what I have to so I can get gauges working and a stand alone trans controller.