Thread: Transfer case fluid???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question

My owners manual says to put Auto trac fluid from GM in my transfer case on my 2500HD '05 GMC. It is an electric transfer case. I thot only the half ton trucks with auto 4x4 required that. Any help would be appreciated!

Arrow

The Autotrac II fluid is ONLY for 1500/2500 trucks/SUVs with Autotrac (auto 4x4). The 2500HD and up DO NOT have Autotrac as an option. As MP said, Dexron III (or IV or V) is what you need.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

That was my understanding also. Just thot I would make sure. I was on a trip so that is why I didnt reply right away. Thanks a lot !!!

Sheldon Kuhn Guest

Glad I read this. Dealer sold me Autotrac as the fluid to use ;-( What do you guys recommend for 1st time change. Miles, 4X4 use? I haven't changed it yet.

Arrow

Originally posted by Slik:
    Glad I read this. Dealer sold me Autotrac as the fluid to use ;-( What do you guys recommend for 1st time change. Miles, 4X4 use? I haven't changed it yet.
    Dexron III (or later IV, or V) ATF. There are several excellent synthetics available, which is what I recommend, especially if towing. Transynd is supposed to be the premium fluid. I use Amsoil Torquedrive, which is claimed to be of the same/better rating as Transynd. I would use Transynd, but I despise Castrol, as a company.

Sheldon Kuhn Guest

Thanks, I think I will go with Transynd.

Angry

Just got my truck fluids changeded and he used auto-trak in my transfer case. I don't have teh auto button on my 03 Dmax 4x4.

Will this damage my transfer case? What is the difference in the fluids?
    Tray Bourgoyne<br />Raymond, MS<br />03 Chevy CC 4x4 D/A

DA BIG ONE Guest

Originally posted by Tray B:
    Just got my truck fluids changeded and he used auto-trak in my transfer case. I don't have teh auto button on my 03 Dmax 4x4.

Will this damage my transfer case? What is the difference in the fluids?
    AutoTrac t-case is always driving front driveshaft, there is a clutch pack (9/10 disk)inside case that designed to absorb shock as front diff is engaged/disengaged at speed. AutoTrac fluid is designed as a limited slip type lube because of the clutch pack.

In your case use best synthetic you can find.

When I changed mine it had the green Auto-trac fluid in it. Almost 50k, the fluid looked good, I changed it anyway! [img]tongue.gif[/img] Good for another 50k
    2001 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Allison
    2006 Chevy 3500 DRW D/A
    Both tune w/EFILive