Thread: LBZ .. tick when idiling

Hi I have a rattle in my new lbz (1000 mi.) that sounds like a small bolt loose or a cool down ping is about the best description I can give,when the engine is hot and idiling, but stops when it is shut off.Anyone else hearing this?
    Thanks Don

Jimamatic Guest

You may be experiencing the infamous tick that these engines have at idle. I think GM says that it is related to how the oil works in the bearings and journals of the engine and says it's normal. My 01 did it alot when new but does'nt do it much any more. Sounds like tick tick.....tick....tick tick tick. Do a search on this site for engine tick or ticking sound. There's a ton of info on this subject.

Thumbs up

thanks for the info guys,I can rest easier now,I did talk to the dealer and they did say that it was air pockets in the oil going through the bearings and making a snapping sound comming out the other side causing the ticking sound and that it is normal and will stop when it wears in a bit,but I was very sceptical of there analisis because these are the same guys that said the knock (piston slap) in there gas engines was also normal lol
    Thanks again
    Don

aashwill Guest

My 06 LBZ with 3000 miles does the same thing. To me, its sounds like an ocassional lifter tapping. I don't like it, but I can only imagine the line of crap the dealer would give me if I brought it in and said something. Let me know if yours quits doing it. I'll do the same. What kind of mileage are you getting? I have a crew cab dually 4x4 and currently average 14-15mph driving. Towing is around 12.

Thumbs up

Hi Andy
    I will keep you up to date on the ticking. The fuel milage I am getting right now is 16.5-17.5 not towing and very little idiling ,lots of varring speed for a couple thousand miles.I will be towing a enclosed car trailor (8000 lbs.)and a 7000 lb camper.
    Give me a call if you like.
    Don
    306 949-2613

jbplock Guest

The "tick" is annoying but nothing to worry about.. As Jimamatic suggested a forum search will yield more info ... Here are two examples..

Tick

Ticking Noise

[img]smile.gif[/img]

I had the tick too when the truck was new. At 8K on the clock its virtually gone. I had a similar sound from my old 95 6.5TD and it took about 20K or more before it was gone. On my new one it was by far the most prominent noise at idle. Boy am I glad its gone!

I find it hard to believe its air in the oil. IMHO its more likely to be related to tight rings on a new engine and related piston slap or something like that. If its air in the oil, why do the new engines have it and why does it eventually go away? As Ross Perot said, I'm all ears!
    2005 Regular cab, LLY Allison, new 7/05

David Proske Guest

my 03 has over 48,000 miles and it still ticks.

06 HD and David, Just curious, do either of you use a fuel additive with centane improver? I have always used just Stanadyne Lubricity formula. Recently I ran out and bought some Power Service Grey Bottle at NAPA with centane improver. My tick is gone at idle but I could still hear some under light load. Now that seems to be gone too. My engine seems to run smoother and quieter with the PS additive. Under light load virtually all of that light tick seems to be gone. Not 100% sure yet, but I may be the newest convert to fuel additives with centane improver.
    2005 Regular cab, LLY Allison, new 7/05

David Proske Guest

Yes i use either the total power stuff that JK sells or power service from wally world. I even tried the Rotella fuel supplement that wally world had for a while.