Thread: Replacing Front Rotors on 3500 4x4 How difficult?

I have a lot of shudder and pulse when I apply the brakes on our 02 c/c 4x4 3500 GMC. I replaced the pads about six months ago and now I am starting to get the pulse when I appy the brakes. I guess it is warped rotors. I don't beleive in turning them, it seems they just warp again only quicker.I have checked all of the front end components ( tie rods idler arm pitman arm ) and all are tight. I haven't done the rotors on one of these yet and wonder how hard it is? I did the front on our 97 Dodge 4x4 and they were as pain. I was hoping that the rotors come off the hubs, or do I have to knock out the studs and split the hub and rotor and undo the abs cable like the one's on the Dodge's. I appreciate any input. I can get the rotors from a friend for about $100 for the pair. I used to spin wrenches for a living a long time ago, but it never hurts to get advice from you techs out there. This forum has saved me a lot of trial and error and I can't say how much I appreciate all of your help. Thanks

xwing Guest

I couldn't loosen the brake caliper bolts with an Ingersoll Rand 2131 1/2" impact wrench with 120psi airsupply (got one, others no go).

I had to take the truck to a local guy who had to do some torch heating to break the bolts loose. If you have oxyacetylene torch, 150+psi air, and 1/2" impact go for it. MAPP gas torch you could try I guess [img]smile.gif[/img]

I just hated to get into the project then stumped, when replacing my weirdly rotted out/rusted front rotors...put Brembo replacements on with EBC truck pads and so far so good a year+ later.
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Thumbs up

Thanks for the reply, I have all of the tools and Oxy Acel rig. I understand that I have to take the hub nut off and drive the studs out and then reassemble. Take care and Have a Happy New Year!

Did you have any luck Bill?

I have a 3/4" impact, so hopefully that will do the trick for me next week, although I have come across some things that it wouldn't do (tractor implement stuff).

Btw, I had my front rotors turned twice under warranty for the same vibration issue you mentioned. After the 2nd time, they have held up ok.
    \'02 Pewter 3500 LT CC LB 4x4 D/A G80<br /><br />Predator v1.11, Warn M15000, BFG 235-85-16 ATs, Crimestopper Remote Start, 2.5\" Front Leveling Cams, Prodigy Brake Controller, Nasta Nerf Bars, UNI Foam Air Filter, Fumoto Valve

Talking

Sorry that I didn't reply quicker. I have been working non stop for a month. I haven't been able to get around to it yet, but hopefully soon. I'll let you know how it goes. "Now if I can only get a day off! "Ha Ha"

I actually got around to doing mine this weekend. It went a LOT easier that I thought it would. Check out my thread on the subject that I just updated.
    \'02 Pewter 3500 LT CC LB 4x4 D/A G80<br /><br />Predator v1.11, Warn M15000, BFG 235-85-16 ATs, Crimestopper Remote Start, 2.5\" Front Leveling Cams, Prodigy Brake Controller, Nasta Nerf Bars, UNI Foam Air Filter, Fumoto Valve