In reference to:
http://www.thedieselpage.com/members...roject2-11.htm

It appears the #18146 trailer light converter will not work for me in this application (convert the C/K 2-wire stop/turn lamps to operate from the 2001's 3-wire system).

The #18146 is a transistorized module (solid-state) device that expects to see lamp circuits on both the input and output connections. Without the input lamp circuits in my application, the transistor circuits aren't properly biased, and won't output the correct signal to the tail lights. Specifically, both tail light turn lamps flashed with either right or left turn signal.

In talking to Draw-Tite's tech people, they recommended their #18190 module, rated for up to 20-amps per circuit because it is relay driven, and should work without lamps on the input circuits.

However, once I learned all this, I decided to go to plan B, which was to convert the C/K tail lights to a 3-wire circuit. That has been completed, and works just fine. I needed to run another wire (brake wire) to both tail lights, and use the existing turn lamps just for the turn circuits.

I'll keep the ModuLite #18146 just in case I decide to add a receiver hitch to this truck.

Incidentally, more wiring and truck systems have been completed. Aside from all lights (head, park, stop, turn, tail, backup), the A/C system, fuel tank sender, wipers, and seat belt circuits are now functional. It's cool seeing all of the various dash systems come to life.

I should have a 2001 TCM by mid week. I may attempt a first start sometime later.

MP

[ 03-23-2004, 08:23 AM: Message edited by: More Power ]