Thread: 93 6.5 turbo hard to start when hot/ Turbo options

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 93 6.5 turbo hard to start when hot/ Turbo options

Hi there, I am new to the forum and new to the world of the gm 6.5 Diesel.

The problem I am having is that when warm it doesn't start well, my first bit of research showed that I must have a bad pmd or need to relocate it, now I am learning that I don't think the 93 has a pmd??? Would this just be an injection pump issue? I hope not... or could it be bad fuel? I have no idea how long the fuel has been in the truck as I bought it with a blown turbo and I am also in the process of replacing that.

Which brings me to my next question..? Can I swap a turbo in directly from any year 6.5? or do I have to stay with the 93 and why? With that how can I make a newer turbo work also what other options do I have?

Thanks everyone.

I had the same problem with my 93. I used to carry a gallon of water with me and pour it onto the Pump head ( end of pump with fuel lines coming out). It cools down the pump long enough to start. I had to replace mine but that trick can help you determine if this is the same problem. As for the turbo Im not so sure about that. I do know it is a spring loaded wastegate so that could be a consideration.

Forrest (The Chief)
    93 C3500
    Dually crew cab
    auto trans
    Tekonsha Brake control
    New IP 128K
    New injectors 135K
    New glowplugs 135K
    http://www.nascarcamping.com
    http://www.montgomeryspeedway.com

The hot start problem is probably due to a worn pump. You can try adding 1-2 quarts of 2-stroke oil to 6-5 gallons of fuel in the tank and see if the added viscosity helps at all. If it does, the pump's goin'.

Any year turbo as long as it's not off a van will work. 94 and up had a vacuum operated wastegate, so you'll have to get a turbo master or rig something up.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Like I said I am new to this can anyone elaborate on a turbomaster or what I rig up to make a newer turbo work??

First - why do you want to upgrade your turbo? If it is wore out then yes do the upgrade. If you are looking for more power (aren't we all) there are ways to get more boost out of your existing turbo. 93 6.5 has a mechanically acuated waste gate. You could increase spring pressure to hold the waste gate from opening so soon. If you decide to do this you need to upgrade the exhaust, pull the snorkel for the air intake(it lives between the inner and outer fender) Turn up your IP and get a set of A pillar gauges. EGT, Boost and tranny temp. Tere is no computer saftey shut downs so you need to live by these gauges. You can search exsisting threads for this info. If you can't find it P.M. me and I'll help you out.

Dave
    93 2500 - best truck I ever owned
    Sold

98 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton 4X4 EC SB Dark Blue
    3"turbo down to 4" back.
    Remote PMD
    Was S then F code now SSD ECM (used - it was cheap - not my first choice)

Default Hard starting.

I had the hard starting problem when hot on my '93 6.5 TD 2500 pickup. There's a service bulletin from GM about this. The switch contacts in the engine's oil pressure switch that feed the fuel pump deteriorate and don't supply the pump with full voltage. These contacts are bypassed through the ignition switch when cranking. My truck, when hot, would start and die. This can be checked at the ALDL connector with the engine running and is described in the service bulletin, if I remember it correctly. My pump was only getting 7 volts from the oil pressure switch contacts with the engine running. The contacts were burnt. There's a newer oil pressure switch from GM as per this service bulletin to correct the problem. Sorry, I'm at work away from home and don't have a copy. But you can look it up at www.alldatadiy.com. Of course, you'll have to buy a subscription. And no, I don't work for them. This fixed my hard start problem straightaway.