Thread: Cleaning the engine innerds

Default Cleaning the engine innerds

I'm prepping the block to throw the heads back on. Had some gasket debris and other sanding "stuff" in the cylinders sitting on top of the piston so I vacuumed each cylinder last night. I was wondering about any micro grit that stuck itself to the cylinder walls or might be nestled down at the piston rings. Any good way to ensure I have it all out? And should I recoat the piston walls with 15W40 or some other suitable lubricant? Guess I'm a little nervous about scoring the cylinder walls.

I stuffed rags into the upper openings of the block but I know stuff fell in the bolt holes when sanding/scraping. Should I be concerned about this?
    Mark Chapman DP member #653;
    1983 K2500 6.2 Suburban, 4" lift, 35" tires, ATS turbo, Banks exhaust/intake, pyrometer, tachometer;
    1986 K5 6.2 Blazer, 2" lift, 33" tires, Banks intake, pyrometer, tachometer
    1963 wife, one owner, average mileage for the age but in excellent shape, a keeper
    1992 daughter, low mileage, pretty, limited edition, but requires some money to maintain
    1995 son, sports model, very fast & peppy, time will tell on durability and maintenance costs

"Grease is good"

I'd just give each cylinder a good blast with compressed air, and make sure to check the coolant passages for debris too. As far as lubing the cylinder walls, maybe a coat of 15W40 or assembly lube, followed by rotating the engine to give everything a light coat then wiping off the excess - you don't want it getting squished on the compression stroke. Or, you can use a drill with a cheap 1/4" drive extension & 5/16" socket to prime the system before cranking.
    Phil

'90 Jeep Wrangler, 4.2l, AX15, Dana 30 & 35 with 3.07s (for now!) 4" Rough Country lift, 33x10.5x15 BFG KM2s

'91 F350 XLT Lariat crew cab, 2WD SRW, 7.3l IDI, ZF S5-42, 3.55 LSD.