Thread: New Shift Mechanism won't shift into First

Default New Shift Mechanism won't shift into First

Hello and thank you in advance for any help or advice. I had a mechanic replace the shift mechanism (Dorman 905-101 Column Shifter), which he completed, but now it won't shift down into first. It otherwise goes into park and reverse correctly, and it seems to shift through all the gears. It simply won't allow me to manually shift down into first. Frankly, I haven't shifted into first for years, so I can't say for certain whether it was a problem when I took it in.

I replaced the shift mechanism because the attachment plate was cracked. (It was drive-able with the old shift mechanism.) Is this issue simply a matter of adjustment, the wrong part, the wrong mechanic, or something worse? Thank you.
    Vashon Island, Washington
    99 6.5 L65 GMC 2500 Extended Cab

Arrow

Is the lever actually able to move the full range? Meaning, does it go to where 1/L should be, but the tranny detent for 1/L doesn't engage?

If it moves the full range, you need to (slightly) adjust the cable at the NSBU (module on side of tranny where the cable attaches). It's a simple matter of compensating for old-to-new parts, or perhaps a slight variance with a (likely) universal aftermarket replacement part. Not having it adjusted properly can cause damage to the NSBU, new shifter mount, cable and/or bell-crank, as the short travel at one end (1/L), is excessive travel at the other (P), which may cause stress if forced past the P detent travel limit.

If the lever doesn't move the full range, it could be a bad/wrong part, or range travel is obstructed at one end or the other. Could also be the cable couplings (there are 4 points) are too worn/sloppy (replace cable).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Thanks. Lever doesn't move the full range.

According to Dorman, that’s the right part:

This part is a fit for your vehicle: 1999 > Chevrolet > C2500 > Steering Column Shift Mechanism
    Application: Automatic Trans.
    http://www.dormanproducts.com/itemde...SEName=905-101
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Default Shift cable sticking?

Tranny shop says it's a sticking shift cable. Will replace and post results.