Thread: Too Much Internal Engine Rust?

Default Too Much Internal Engine Rust?

How much rust can be cleaned up for a rebuild?

My dry storage attempt failed. I couldn't have picked a better spot for a roof leak and once water got in the bag, it kept it there.

Can this be rebuilt or is it scrap?

I've taken pics of the worst of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '87 Blazer, 4x4, 6.2, 700R4, 4.10, Silverado Pkg and rusty. Drivable donor.

'85 M1009. 350, TH400? Gears probably 3.08? A few dings but that's what Camo paint is for right? Currently unlicensed and being taken apart.

Arrow

Welcome aboard!

No good news, here. A bit of surface rust can be cleaned up, most of the time. Your pic's are showing a lot of deep pitting and exfoliation, which can affect the integrity of the metallurgy. Some of it may be salvageable, but not enough that I would consider it a reliable build.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

i,d wash it all down with some coca cola and a wire scrub brush,. then look closely to see whats deep pitted or not,.,. the bottom end looks furry, i might remove the rear main cap and wash it with some acid,. where the oil pump gallery is,.
    Go after everything with some hydrochloric acid fairly weak solution,.and wire brush
    hose it all off really well with the garden hose,. use an air line to blowit all dry or a hair dryer,. then inspect it,. use some steel wool on the bores with wd40 to see what you've got,. wash everything off good with the hose again and dry and oil,. heads don't look too bad,. a rough head surface makes for a good gasket seal anyway,.

i am assuming you will be smart enough to take necessary steps to protect yourself when handling the acid, right?
    1999 chev suburban C2500
    300,000 mi

Thanks for the replies.

This is part of a mid 80's K5 Blazer project I started in 2006. As life happens I'm not going to finish it. Currently I'm assessing the parts and trying to figure out what to do with them. I'll be listing some of them in the classifieds here.
    '87 Blazer, 4x4, 6.2, 700R4, 4.10, Silverado Pkg and rusty. Drivable donor.

'85 M1009. 350, TH400? Gears probably 3.08? A few dings but that's what Camo paint is for right? Currently unlicensed and being taken apart.

Evaporated rust works well. So does electrolysis using a battery charger. There are instructions out there.
    The evaporated rust is easier if you can afford it.