Thread: New starter problem

Default New starter problem

So back around October I installed a brand new starter in my suburban. Now, whenever I start it, it makes the same grinding noise that you would expect if you held the ignition switch in the crank position for too long, except I'm not. Any idea what could be causing this? Again, it's a new starter.

Arrow

Gear grinding? Or running along? New starter or not doesn't speak to the condition of the solenoid. If it hangs, the gear won't disengage. Also, check for a cracked gear (nose) housing and/or loose bolts, which is highly suspect if it's a direct drive, especially if the forward support bracket is missing or loose.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Well I know the front brace is missing, so I have another one on the way. Also, I did notice there is oil leaking around the starter bolts. What does that indicate?

Arrow

Oil on the starter bolts is a leaking valve cover, 99% of the time. 1% of the time, is better not discussed until you verify the valve covers are not leaking, and nothing else is (bad news).

With a missing bracket, it's possible the bolts are loose, starter housing is broken, or worse. If nothing appears broken, replace the bolts with new OEM. Avoid using it w/o the bracket as best you can.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Sense no one has said it yet, you should NOT attempt to crank it again until you have new bolts & the front brace installed, it only takes that one time to break the block ear off and then another motor would be needed...

Surprised no one mentioned this....
    1993 Chevy K3500

owner - Twisted Steel Performance

porting, ceramic & powder coating

like us on Facebook

Howdy
    I have had a leaking fuel manager and by the time the trickle of fuel got down to the bottom it was nasty enough to look like oil. It came down right off the starter bolts. IMHO...if your starter has been loose without the nose bracket, I would take it off and give a good look. Also inspect the block area. When you put the NEW OEM(don't use any generic china crap, buy them in the GM package if you can) bolts in, make sure you torque them to spec and then after a few days of driving, retorque and check them often. As stated above, cheap insurance against a broken block.
    Good luck!
    1996 Chvy 3500 CCDWLB 6.5 Heathed, NO vac, marine injctrs, ARB bumper, BIG pipe, 3" lift, bright lights, bypass oil system.
    1986 Chvy 6.2 M1009 blazer RAM AIR, Headers, Custom interior
    2001 Chinook RV, V10 gas
    1974 John Deere 1530 diesel tractor
    1993 John Deere 455 Diesel lawn mower
    1967 GTO, 1989 Honda Transalp
    2009 VW Jetta TDI, flashed and piped, 6speed, fun car!
    1998 6.5 suburban, stock, daughter's
    1993 6.5 3500 CCSWLB GM8, Heathed, big exhaust, gauges, Son's

1984 6.2 ATS turbo 3500, SCDWLB - Son's
    3 kids, 1 wife, 1 dog
    Gunsmith, Tactics Instructor, Fabricator USMC 87-93 Semper Fi!

New nose brace is on the way. I'll take the starter off and see how things look. Will keep everyone posted. Sounds like I might as well get new GM bolts as well.

Looks like ACDelco 15544950 GM Original Equipment Starter Bolt is what I'm looking for?

Here is a photo of the new starter right after it was installed and then one from tonight, showing the leakage.

IMG_0604.jpg
    IMG_0603.jpg

Default Update

Well I got the starter out. The bolts weren't loose and the starter wasn't damaged. I took it to autozone to be tested and it tested fine, but they replaced it under warranty for me anyways. So I have a new starter waiting and the brace and new bolts on the way. It's doesn't look like there is any damage to the ear on the block where the starter mounts. However ...

It looks like the oil is leaking from way above where the starter mounts. Here are some photos I took after removing the starter. Considering the span of the leak and the height from which it seems to be originating, I think it's unlikely it has anything to do with the starter. Perhaps the cylinder head gasket or valve cover gasket?

This is where the starter would be. So looking up towards the engine block from the ground.
    IMG_0605.jpg

This is from behind the engine looking forwards towards the backside of the engine block.
    IMG_0606.jpg

This is again where the starter would be, looking up from the ground, but looking more towards the exhaust manifold. Was trying to get a shot of where the cylinder head meets the block.
    IMG_0607.jpg

Of course all of those are on the passenger side. What do y'all think?

valve cover is leaking...
    1993 Chevy K3500

owner - Twisted Steel Performance

porting, ceramic & powder coating

like us on Facebook

Just an FYI-
    They make two different nose brackets, one for a direct drive and one for a gear reduction.
    It is your valve cover leaking. I think there is a good detailed post about best practice for fixing that leak.
    Does you ring gear show any sings of wear?
    Did you see anything that might have caused your starting issue?
    Good luck!
    1996 Chvy 3500 CCDWLB 6.5 Heathed, NO vac, marine injctrs, ARB bumper, BIG pipe, 3" lift, bright lights, bypass oil system.
    1986 Chvy 6.2 M1009 blazer RAM AIR, Headers, Custom interior
    2001 Chinook RV, V10 gas
    1974 John Deere 1530 diesel tractor
    1993 John Deere 455 Diesel lawn mower
    1967 GTO, 1989 Honda Transalp
    2009 VW Jetta TDI, flashed and piped, 6speed, fun car!
    1998 6.5 suburban, stock, daughter's
    1993 6.5 3500 CCSWLB GM8, Heathed, big exhaust, gauges, Son's

1984 6.2 ATS turbo 3500, SCDWLB - Son's
    3 kids, 1 wife, 1 dog
    Gunsmith, Tactics Instructor, Fabricator USMC 87-93 Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by Dvldog8793 View Post
    Just an FYI-
    They make two different nose brackets, one for a direct drive and one for a gear reduction.
    It is your valve cover leaking. I think there is a good detailed post about best practice for fixing that leak.
    Does you ring gear show any sings of wear?
    Did you see anything that might have caused your starting issue?
    Good luck!
    The nose bracket is arriving today so I'll know later on if it's the right one.

No signs of wear in any mechanical parts. Only thing I can think of is maybe a combination of the nose bracket missing and oil seemed to be leaking from the valve cover into the starter....