Thread: Fixed one problem only to find another: possible fuel leak

Default Fixed one problem only to find another: possible fuel leak

So I get my transmission issues solved, only to discover what I believe is a fuel leak. Upon test drive, I noticed a fair amount of yellowish clear liquid dripping from behind the engine block around the inspection cover. My searching suggests it may be the injector pump. Thoughts? I'll get pictures later on.

1988 K10 Suburban. 6.5L NA Goodwrench Engine: 506 block cast on August 12, 1996. Heavy Duty built 700R4. Full-floating 14 bolt rear axle. 3/4ton 10 bolt front.

IIRC, there are two short fuel hoses just above the block-bellhousing joint. Also, the filter housing could be leaking.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Anything that leaks into the engine valley will run out through the drain hole in the rear bulkhead of the valley and then out the hole in the flywheel cover.

I agree on the likelihood of the fuel filter/manager unit leaking.

These are notorious for rotting out in the bottom where the fuel heater is located.

Fuel will leak out where the wires to the heater unit go into the unit.

If thats the case then the best fix is a Racor fuel filter/water separator

I installed a Racor 230 R2 unit on a bracket up by the ABS unit and extended the hoses.

AS mentioned

The two hoses from the fuel filter/manager can leak.

One hose is the water drain line that goes to the drain valve at the front of the engine and the other one goes to the IP (Fuel supply)

Any of these can have issues/leaks.
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Thank you all for the responses. I will check out the lines and hoses once it is not raining. Looks like it already has a Racor fuel filter installed.

IMG_5328.jpg
    1988 K10 Suburban. 6.5L NA Goodwrench Engine: 506 block cast on August 12, 1996. Heavy Duty built 700R4. Full-floating 14 bolt rear axle. 3/4ton 10 bolt front. Brand new 305/75R16 Procomp AT Sport tires on brand new 16x8 steel wheels.

My truck is a '93 with the mech. inj. pump. Had an '85 previously with the 6.2. Twice now, I've had the throttle shaft seal leaking. Runs down to the back of the lifter valley and through the drain hole as has already been said. Seems it's usually fuel lines/filter causing the leak, but just wanted to pass this on as a possibility.

I just fixed a leak on mine. On the pump the seal was leaking around the little pin on the passenger side that the little lever pushes on. It wasnt a massive leak though. It was just constantly wet back below the filter module and I could smell it after running the truck. Took me forever to find the leak. I had the pump out and while it was sitting on the bench i noticed a drip forming.
    1994 Chevrolet K3500 Dually, 6.5 Mechanical Pump Conversion, NV4500

The new style fuel filter gave me fits - the old one had an insert, with a ring to secure it - the new ones (NAPA/Wix) are one-piece. Only after I double gasketed (and greased the top gasket so it would tighten a bit more) would it stop leaking.
    '94 Barth 28' Breakaway M/H ("StaRV II") diesel pusher: Spartan chassis, aluminum birdcage construction. Peninsular/AMG 6.5L TD (230HP), 18:1, Phazer, non-wastgated turbo, hi-pop injectors, 4L80E (Sun Coast TC & rebuild, M-H Pan), Dana 80 (M-H Cover), Fluidampr, EGT, trans temp, boost gage. Honda EV-4010 gaso genset, furnace, roof air, stove, microwave/convection, 2-dr. 3-way reefer. KVH R5SL Satellite. Cruises 2, sleeps 4, carries 6, and parties 8 (parties 12 - tested).

Stand-ins are an '02 Cadillac Escalade AWD 6.0L and an '06 Toyota Sienna Limited.