Thread: Transmission Fluid In Fuel Filter?

Default Transmission Fluid In Fuel Filter?

I brought my 03' 2500 Silverado in for an oil/fuel filter change, when they were road testing the truck died. After bleeding the system, got it started again- replaced cracked plastic bleeder screw, Still losing prime.
    Brought the truck home figured O'ring on fuel filter was pinched, removed the new fuel filter tech had installed and when I emptied it into my drain pan It was filled w/some fuel but mostley a red fluid. Called tech and asked, they said they topped the filter off w/ transmission fluid.
    New to the Diesel thing but, I have never heard of this.(Maybe on old Farm Equipment)
    Any Idea's
    Bowhnter37
    P.S (Still can keep a prime)

Arrow

Welcome to the Forums!

That's old school. Really old school (like the old farm tractor). I would never do the ATF/filter treatment on a late model Diesel. If it's a GM (or any OEM) dealer, get it documented and get your money back, along with any other expenses/time you have.....after they make sure there is no damage. I doubt it really hurt anything, but get it documented anyway. Could come in handy later.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Unfortunately it wasn't a GM dealer, I already cut the ties w/my local dealer after I caught them attempting to charge me for work they didn't perform but said they did. (That's a whole other can of worms)
    I'm still trying to get the truck running at this point, I ordered a fuel filter head and will try that Hopefully this weekend! (Keeps losing Prime) At first the truck would only start/run fine after it was primed. Now it won't even do that, As fast as the primer get's hard, as soon as you stop pumping within seconds it looses the prime and goes soft. The only thing I can think of, is there must be some type of valve in the filter head that's bad that's allowing the fuel to go back to the tank. I checked for leaks all the way from the tank to the filter-Bled the system numerouse times and still it won't keep it's prime. I looked at all the similar problem/posts here and can only come up w/ a bad filter head. (Could be a $300 mistake)
    Thanks for the Welcome (Very Informative Site)
    Bowhnter37
    2003 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison Crew

Default help

had one just like that in our dealership replaced the filter housing customer took it home shut it off and would not re start. Went to customers house re primed and it started right up, look at the lines going to the fuel control module on the right side if the valve cover check both fuel lines make sure they are not chafed and hose clamps are tight.

Well, after installing a new Fuel filter head($380) and that not fixing my problem I finally pulled if from my local Mechanic and brought it to a Chevy Dealer. After about 2 Hrs they called me and told me part of my injection pump isn't functioning properly so I need to replace it. They are going to order the parts and it will be covered under warranty. 5-7 day's wait on part's. Hopefully this will fix it. I'll post outcome as soon as I get it back.

Can you Imagine, this all started after sending my truck in for an oil/fuel filter change. This will go down in the record books as the most expensive oil change in history.
    Bowhnter37

Arrow

You have a few options here. If the dealer hits you for the $100 deductible, go back to the oil change place, and tell them they have to reimburse you. If they balk at that, tell them you will tell the dealer the whole story, and they will be liable for the full amount of the repair, which will likely be in the $1,000 neighborhood. Also, threatening a BBB and/or ASE report could get you some ground to work with. In any case, you shouldn't be out a penney.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

DMax, as far as the BBB goes, "pissing in the wind" BBB is mostly BS. Why would a simple service cause the air leak?? where is there a connection other than coincidental?? I would not rebate $100 nor worry about the dealer bill!! if I know I did not cause the problem. Did I miss something??
    As for the ATF in the filter, not the best idea for late model engines but should not be a problem. I would not want an IRS fuel sample taken, may be just enough pink to pull down a hefty fine. bob...............
    Bob O.
    2004 K2500 DA LLY CC LT LB Wow! Edge w/A + BS + CAT pre fuel filter, 06 air box,
    2002 C6500 EC. 7.2 Cat NoMar rollback/ 92 C7500, 7.2 Cat, 25ton No-Mar / 2005 C5500 D/A rollback / 1969 Corvette 350-350 4spd AC T-top stock orginal
    XP850LE WOW nice ATV, 09-550XP hers, 03-Predator, 04 Honda400EX, 05-Banshee, 08-KTM525, 08 KFX700, 38' enclosed GN hitch

CARCO, as far as the pink color They can tell if it is offroad fuel or just some tranny fluid by testing the sulfur content in the fuel.offroad fuel has alot of sulfur that is how they catch the guys running it in there big trucks.
    89 Burb 1500 4x4 350 soon to be diesel swapped
    86 military blazer stock 6.2 J code TH400 with rockwells project truck 12 in. spring lift,3 in. body lift,10 in. dropped brackets for spring hangers
    two 84 Burb's 6.2's parts trucks