Thread: Cruise control

Talking Cruise control

I have a 99 gmc sierra 2500 6.5 l diesel without cruise control. I heard the ecm came programmed from the factory even if did not come with it. All that is necessary to get cruise on the truck would be to replace the lever to add the cruise buttons and a fuse in the panel and wire it in under the steering wheel shaft. Can anybody share some wisdom on what i'm wanting to do. Thanks a bunch - tired foot in texas!!!

Arrow

Welcome aboard!

I've done that on a bunch of the OBDII trucks and it worked almost every time, sometimes (actually, about 50/50 success). If it doesn't work like it's supposed to, or triggers the SES or causes funky engine behavior, it will need an update to the ECM. I don't recall having to add a fuse, but I may be mistaken. I never did determine exactly why some worked w/o programming, but I suspect it was the equipment options, perhaps enabled PTO. If your truck is the HD (8600# GVWR) or a cab/chassis, your chances are better it will work out of the box (but not guaranteed).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Smile Cruise cont rol

Yes the truck is a 8600 gvwr its a 4l80e . I'm going to try it and see what happens- if nothing else it will have an upgraded lever assy. It has a non tilt wheel- on my other one i don't think i ever used the tilt but once to see if it worked.
    With your info i think i'm going to buy the lever assy and give it a shot. Thanks a bunch for your info.