Thread: DEF fluid & Shift inhibitor on tranny

Default DEF fluid & Shift inhibitor on tranny

Had my 2012 2500HD 6.6 truck in to have recall work done on it !
    glow plug, ERG valve and some other box !
    Ever since I've had it there i've had nothing but problems !
    the shift inhibitor keeps popping up in the message center and my truck won't shift so I can't even drive it so i took it back and they said my DEF fluid was frozen (never happened the other 3 yrs I've had it and it was alot colder) I tried to add DEF fluid to it when the message came up and it will only fill up the neck of the pipe and its full !
    It ran and shifted ok for 2 days and now I went to go to work and it wouldn't shift and the shift inhibitor message came up again. It said to reset it put in neutral so I did and I could go forward but not reverse so I pulled it back in the driveway until monday to take to the garage ! Don't really want to take it back to the same dealer because when I ask them what was wrong they couldn't tell me anything and told me to just drive it for a couple days and see what happens ! I ask them what about the messages and codes that were there and they said they all went away ! I said yes but they still should still be on the computer unless you guys deleted them ! He couldn't even tell me if the DEF fluid was full !

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by BAMDmax View Post
    Had my 2012 2500HD 6.6 truck in to have recall work done on it !
    glow plug, ERG valve and some other box !
    Ever since I've had it there i've had nothing but problems !
    the shift inhibitor keeps popping up in the message center and my truck won't shift so I can't even drive it so i took it back and they said my DEF fluid was frozen (never happened the other 3 yrs I've had it and it was alot colder) I tried to add DEF fluid to it when the message came up and it will only fill up the neck of the pipe and its full !
    It ran and shifted ok for 2 days and now I went to go to work and it wouldn't shift and the shift inhibitor message came up again. It said to reset it put in neutral so I did and I could go forward but not reverse so I pulled it back in the driveway until monday to take to the garage ! Don't really want to take it back to the same dealer because when I ask them what was wrong they couldn't tell me anything and told me to just drive it for a couple days and see what happens ! I ask them what about the messages and codes that were there and they said they all went away ! I said yes but they still should still be on the computer unless you guys deleted them ! He couldn't even tell me if the DEF fluid was full !
    We’ve had a long spell of seriously cold and subzero weather recently here in Montana. Sounds like you may have seen some of the same weather. DEF can freeze, but the DEF tanks in these trucks are equipped with a heating element, which should prevent freezing.

Was any work done on the DEF system? Did they replace the DEF tank? I suspect the dealership may have done some work on the DEF system, which could interfere with its ability to deal with cold temperatures. So, I’d recommend another dealer visit, and ask them to test the DEF heater. I’d also ask whether any DEF system trouble codes exist in the computer, such as P20B9. Good luck,

More info here:
    http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/t...ad.php?t=44073
    Last edited by More Power; 01-23-2017 at 16:06.