Thread: 5th wheel/GN adapter

Smile 5th wheel/GN adapter

I have purchased a 2006 GMC Sierra with a single ball for a GN trailer and I want to use this to tow my 5th wheel trailer.
    Does anyone have any experience with the Anderson Hitch system with the 8" offset to adapt a 5th wheel to a GN hitch?
    How do they work? I have a 2 axle 8K empty 5th wheel to tow.
    Thanks,
    Mark
    2007.5 GMC SLE 2500 HD LMM **SOLD**
    Owned 2006 GMC Sierra CC LLY/LBZ *2 not a D in SN* 214K Purchased 3/2010
    CC/SB/4x4 Summit White
    Owned a 2002 GMC CC LB7 CC sold with 135K
    Now 2015 GMC Crew Cab Duramax/Allison
    Custom Tool box

Hi,

I'd suggest you check to be sure your fiver's frame is strong enough for the different kind of load stresses that the gooseneck imposes.

There have been other discussions in the past on this subject, so a Search might help you as well.

FWIW.
    Rich Phillips
    Member #27
    2019 K-2500 Crew Cab Z71
    Cedar Creek Silverback 33RL Fifth Wheel
    In The Past: '82 6.2 Jimmy Blazer, '93 6.5 GMC K-2500, '01 DMAX K-2500, '09 DMAX K-2500

We sell a lot of those "Ranch Hitch Adapters" at the RV dealership I work at. They are a very fine product, very well made. We've never had a single issue with the actual hitch itself. The only complaint we get is that you will notice more 'bucking' motion while driving. Converting the 5th wheel into a gooseneck is like putting a great big cheater pipe onto the frame of the trailer, and the trailer frame will give a little. On an 8K trailer, you probably won't notice too much of this motion, but it will be there.

On much heavier trailers, I really don't recommend them, as the ride will be terrible, and it can lead to frame failure on the trailer due to metal fatigue.

I always recommend a regular 5th wheel hitch whenever possible, as hitching and unhitching will be much easier, and the trailer will tow smoother. Also, you'll put less stress on the landing gear of the trailer, since with a gooseneck you have to lift the trailer high enough to clear the ball, but with a 5th wheel hitch you just have to remove the weight from the truck enough to slide out from under it.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

If you have a newer 5th wheel, suggest you check the warranty. Some 5th wheels are not designed/build for a gooseneck hitch, and the warranty will be voided.
    2009 GMC Sierra, 2500HD, Crew Cab, 4WD, D-MAX
    2009 Chevy Malibu LT, V6
    2005 Jayco 323RKS, 3600W Onan Generator