Thread: 2004 lly oil draining out exhaust

Default 2004 lly oil draining out exhaust

I have a 2004 lly and today replaced what i thought was a blown turbo. Symptoms oil draining out the exhaust, no boost, and a lot of oil dripping from under where turbo is mounted above. I Install a new turbo, now truck has boost, but oil still drains out of exhaust. I did oil change. I let it idle for 2 hours trying to burn of oil from exhaust thinking I was good from turbo install and wouldn't loose oil, trying to burn all oil from exhaust system. Reved truck up to 3000 and new oil shooting out. Puking out all oil. Low oil light on. shut off truck. Pulled dip stick and no oil on it...... Im lost being a back yarder.... not sure if pcv, turbo vane, head gasket, cracked piston??? does have slight rough idle and slight loss of low end power
    Last edited by myztrain; 12-11-2016 at 11:27. Reason: add on

Arrow

Welcome aboard!

The first thought is, the exhaust system will hold a LOT of oil, and take a long time to clear. However, you are losing oil, so the problem still exists. The condition probably killed your original turbo.

That said, I'd start with eliminating the intake tract by checking the intake plumbing. A slight residue in the plumbing is normal, but if it's passing a lot (crankcase vent), it should be obvious. A head gasket failure or cracked piston will be seen as a lot of oil vapor huffing from the fill pipe. If it appears normal, get a close look at the turbo oil drain. Normally, it is zero/low pressure gravity drain. If it's blocked or restricted, in any way, by any means, a pressurized drain will force (a lot of) oil past the spindle seals.

While your other suspicions are possible, they are much less likely, as they are typically accompanied by easily noticeable additional symptoms.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Default duramax

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    Welcome aboard!

The first thought is, the exhaust system will hold a LOT of oil, and take a long time to clear. However, you are losing oil, so the problem still exists. The condition probably killed your original turbo.

That said, I'd start with eliminating the intake tract by checking the intake plumbing. A slight residue in the plumbing is normal, but if it's passing a lot (crankcase vent), it should be obvious. A head gasket failure or cracked piston will be seen as a lot of oil vapor huffing from the fill pipe. If it appears normal, get a close look at the turbo oil drain. Normally, it is zero/low pressure gravity drain. If it's blocked or restricted, in any way, by any means, a pressurized drain will force (a lot of) oil past the spindle seals.

While your other suspicions are possible, they are much less likely, as they are typically accompanied by easily noticeable additional symptoms.
    It does have a lack of low end power, a bit of a rough idle (slight). But still smoking bad out of exhaust pipe. Im waiting to fill oil and start it back up to check fill pipe for huffing vapor. The turbo is a oem new from dealer. What could block or restrict it? and is huffing vapor out fill tube
    Last edited by myztrain; 12-11-2016 at 14:51.

Arrow

If it's huffing from the fill pipe, it isn't the turbo, or drain. Check the intake for significant restriction (rat's nest, plugged air filter). Other than that, I'm reluctant to guess a cause. You can check the glow plugs to help identify the offending cylinder(s), but it really needs a proper hands-on diagnosis from there.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Quote Originally Posted by myztrain View Post
    a lot of oil dripping from under where turbo is mounted above. ...clip... Reved truck up to 3000 and new oil shooting out.
    Can you identify where the oil is coming from - exactly?

Default oil everywhere

I can't. its coming out of exhaust like turbo is bad still but its Oem and has boost. hooked up to a scanner and it says number 1, 3 injectors are dead. but can that cause this much oil.

Arrow

......hooked up to a scanner and it says number 1, 3 injectors are dead. but can that cause this much oil.
    What are the codes? "Dead" injectors won't cause this. With adjacent cylinder (misfires), and liquid oil spraying from the tailpipe, it's more than just dead injectors. A mere loss of compression won't allow enough oil to pass and "drain" from the exhaust. Smoke, yes. Drain, no. It may be part of a larger problem, but won't be the only condition. The LLY has a known issue with the injector electrical harnesses, which may cause a misfire condition, although I'm not aware of any occurrence of this causing the passage of oil, and don't see how it could.

Check the oil level again. Make SURE that what was on the dipstick was really nothing. Fuel dilution of the engine oil can appear visually as "no oil". Drain it and see just what's in there and how much. While this is usually associated with LB7 injector failure, the LLY isn't immune. Are there any aftermarket power enhancements involved?
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

I can't. its coming out of exhaust like turbo is bad still but its Oem and has boost. hooked up to a scanner and it says number 1, 3 injectors are dead. but can that cause this much oil.
    1 and 3 CYLINDERS may be dead. This could be from the injector or as it sounds in this case a lack of compression.

Oil fill cap off at idle if it puffs it has a loss of compression to the crankcase.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Default oil everywhere

there is some aftermarket parts. exhaust, air box but that is it, i did drain the oil, only had 6qts after oil completely filled 10qt. i have oil on front passenger side of block and appears to be coming out of header and steady steam out the center of motor and shoots out tail pipe. almost like the oil pan gasket is bad.

Arrow

Excessive crankcase pressure will force oil (and vapor) out of everywhere it can. This includes blowing gaskets (like the pan), crankcase vent (PCV), main seals, and the list goes on. The crankcase should (normally) be under vacuum, or very slight pressure during some conditions. Any external leaks, such as the pan gasket, is a result of your problem, not the cause. If it were the cause, oil wouldn't be blowing from the tailpipe. Dig deeper. It doesn't sound positive, or simple.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A