Thread: Turbo position sensor 2007 6.6 Duramax

Default Turbo position sensor 2007 6.6 Duramax

My Duramax has had a check engine light coming on intermittently for 6 months. It is the position sensor for the turbo. I had it replaced and also reprogrammed twice. It continued to come on within a day or two of being in the shop. They tell me now that they need to replace the turbo but that makes no sense to me. The light now stays on all the time. Truck runs perfectly and there is no performance problem at all or loss in mileage or any other symptom of a problem. It does it whether we are towing or just driving it unloaded. anyone else experience this or have any ideas?

The vane control rings start to stick. This puts the spotlight on the sensor which is often not the true issue.

Some have had success just cleaning the vane ring/pilot. Some replace the vane ring itself (they can crack) but most end up replacing the turbo due to the amount of work required and the surety of success.

We've been doing a fair amount of the aftermarket improved turbos on these trucks.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Unhappy

Thanks for info Kennedy. Guess I'll run for a while and have it replaced when it goes if that is what it is. Was hoping for a simple solution but apparently not going to happen. Thanks for your response though.

They definitely can be tricky. I'm not trained on the GM side for diagnosis and they may have some special tests to condemn one or the other, but for the most part when I've hooked up the Tech 2 the vane position follows the command closely. Apparently it's a response time thing.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!