Thread: Lard?

Exclamation Lard?

I have a long haul trucker friend who is quite knowlegable mechanicaly but he made what seemed a very strange reply when I asked him what he used for his diesel fuel conditioner. I was fishing for advise for my Duramax.

His reply was that he puts a pound of lard in the fuel with each fill in the summer and uses canola oil in the cold weather. Says the diesel just dissolves the lard and it's the cheapest fuel conditioner you can get.

His truck is a late model with the Cat engine and pulls a 'B' train.
    The truck has over 200,000 miles on it and the injectors/ pump have never been touched.

He is a good friend and I'm sure he is telling the truth; but this really seems strange.
    Anyone ever heard of such a thing??

CHRISTO.

Arrow

Lard??? Not in my truck! There are far better ideas out there to condition diesel fuel - with commercially available diesel fuel treatments heading the list.

Most people who track fuel economy over many tanks of fuel see enough of a fuel economy increase when using a multi-component fuel treatment (that includes a cetane booster) to pay for the cost of treatment. The additional ingredients that add lubricity, include injector cleaner, offer gell protection, and so on are then basically free....

Jim