TheDieselPage.com Forums  
2017 - TDP's 21st Anniversary
What's New: | Feature Articles: | Product Reviews: | Member's Area: | Subscribe:
Duramax 6600 Diesel Page | Advertiser's Section | Classified Ads | Photo Album | Diesel Books, GM Licensed T-shirts

Go Back   TheDieselPage.com Forums > The Diesel Page Member Forums > 6.5L Turbo Diesel
Register FAQ Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

6.5L Turbo Diesel 1992-00 6.5TD - Discussion forum for the 6.5L engine.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:49 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
The vibration is normal. ECM boost control is not on/off, but is modulated and will allow wastegate opening at a gradual rate. 17" is a little high, but within the margin of error. 15" is ideal at sea level at any "full closed" RPM, with 11" the minimum. Less than ideal variations could be a matter of a well seasoned solenoid, or aftermarket programming adjustments. If you have an aftermarket power program, it wouldn't be unusual to have increased wastegate actuator vacuum, as a means to compensate for increased exhaust back pressure against the wastegate.

Ok, I will hook the trailer up tonight and take it for a spin after I get my boost bolt in so I can monitor boost again. I relocated my AIT back to stock as mentioned. As far as the boost solenoid goes, to my knowledge it is the original from new. I do not have a chip or anything to increase power. Just a PMD relocate, straight pipe exhaust and a not so cold air intake.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:47 AM
Enthusiast

Well, I installed my boost bolt last night and did a check with the new boost solenoid to see how it compared to the one on the truck. Both resulted in a vacuum reading at the actuator of about 19" Hg. So I left the stock one in place and took it for a drive with my 850 lb 4 wheeler in the box and a 3400 lb trailer on the back. It would still build boost as I was accelerating until it hit about 10 psi then would drop down to about 8 psi, which it appeared to hold. It appears to be working, but with the load I hooked up I did not get the engine temp up to about 200-210 like when I am pulling hard, so I will have to wait till next weekend when I take the camper on a trip to see if it actually works when under heavy towing.