Thread: Fuel Pressure Regulator

Default Fuel Pressure Regulator

On my 02 with 100k miles, Can anyone give advice on whether to change or not my Fuel Pressure Regulator and, if so, whether to do it myself or not? ...how tough is it to do? I have the classic surging idle and threw a code for the problem. However, I have been told not to worry about it. It doesn't affect the engine or performance.
    Thanks

Default Fuel pressure Regulator

I have an 01 truck that now has 160,000 Kilometers and I have just changed the "fuel pressure regulator" on my truck by myself.

I am not a mechanic but have work as an electrician so tools are not new to me and I do have a lot of tools. in addition I have always done my own vehicle repairs.

I would recommend that you do change out the part yourself if you have any mechanical aptitude.

Good luck

Thanks,
    I, too, am not a mechanic, but know my way around a wrench pretty well.

Can you give me any pointers or directions where to start? I'm not sure where the regulator is located... tank, fuel line, or???? Is it hard to get to? Do I go in from the top or bottom?

Thanks for the encouragement,

I would look seriously at your injectors first. I had similar peoblems with my 01. I replaced the fuel pressurer regulator and associated hoses this spring. Mine had the same code and was smoking light colored smoke at an idle bad enough that any one standing near the truck would start waving their arms and fannning tha air. I'm not sure that there was anything wrong with the regulator. Mine turned out to be a bad injector #2. My mistake was to only replace that 1. I just finished replacing #4,6,& 8. I'm sure that #1,3,5,& 7 won't be too far behind. The fuel pressure regulator is buried pretty deep in the valley behind the A/C compressor on my 01. If i remember correctly there was some unusual tool that would have made the job easier. Good luck with yours
    Tom

Start by draining the radiator.Then there is a wiring loom that runs across the top, remove this, then the fan needs to be removed for ease of working. I did mine without removing the fan because I did not have a tool for doing this. It meant that I had to remove 2 studs on the cooling system pipe that splits and goes to each bank. The air conditioner pump need to be removed as well as the mounting brackets. The air filter housing needs to be removed, turbo hoses. Remove the alternator and mounting bracket and then if I remember correctly the pressure regulator is accessible. There are 3 torx screws that hold the regulator on the pump. I did not have anything that would fit in the tight space for the screw on the rt hand side, I solved this by loosening the pump and then rotation it about 30 degrees. I did not remove the pump!
    You will need to replace the o ring that is at the bottom of the coolant pipe!
    Good luck.