Thread: Dead battery's after 3-4 days sitting?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Dead battery's after 3-4 days sitting?

Anyone had a problem or have any idea. If i let my truck sit for 3-4 days, the battery's are dead. Both battery's are new. Could it be starter, it shows it charging fine. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks, Jeff
    03 2500hd duramax/ allison stock

Arrow

I have a friend with a 2003. He had the same problem. He'd call me once a week (for weeks), and we'd talk about the problem, and I'd suggest some things to check. Each time, I'd ask him if he had any accessory plugged in, or otherwise hooked up, other than what I knew about (airbag controller, gages....). He always said no. I was finally able to meet up with him and have a look. Did a complete test of the electrical system. All was good. New Optima Yellow Top batteries, no significant drain. Nothing. Days later, same thing. Dead batteries. I met with him again. This time, I asked him what this was, plugged into his accessory power outlet. XM receiver adapter. He says, "but I never leave the receiver in the truck overnight". I ask if he leaves the adapter plugged in. Of course he does, but nothing is attached to the adapter, he says. Well, now he unplugs it every night (my advice). No more problem. The accessory power outlets are not included in the battery power protection circuit. If anything is drawing power from them, they will let your batteries go completely flat. Most 12V power adapters, nowadays, are not just 12V. Most are transformers/inverters, etc, with no switching ability. Meaning, they draw power any time they are plugged in (if there's power to draw). Come to find out later, during his overnight drains, he left the adapters plugged in for the XM and GPS. Apparently, they draw more juice when the device isn't connected to the adapters. We've been camping many times, and he would always leave the devices plugged in, all the time. Never any hint of battery drain. I would seem the device can cause the adapter to not draw power when it doesn't need it, but the adapter is dumb.

So, to make a long story short (I know, too late), something is draining your batteries. Don't rule out anything. Even cell phone charge adapters have a current draw when there's no phone attached.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Good point DMax. I wonder if my c.b wire is drawing juice. Note, it is unplugged from c.b. (thought it could be culprit before) but I will completely unhook it and see.

Thanks, Jeff
    03 2500hd duramax/ allison stock

Default Key in ?

My brother-in law had the same issue with his D-Max truck, took it to a dealer several times till they figured it out. Since they live on a farm, they just left the keys hang in the ingition (partly pulled out). Seems that if they are just hanging, it keeps one of the main computers active and that was running the battery down. Once thy started putting the keys in the cup holder, have had any issues.
    2013 D/A 2500HD Crew Cab<> B & W Rollover Ball, Bed cover, def deleted

Just went through this , one cell in the primary battery was dead , one battery 12.6 volts, other battery 10.4 volts.
    GMC 2002 DURAMAX, SLT, EXCAB SHORT BOX 2500HD, 4X4, AUTO
    ACCESS TONNEAU COVER, 3" STAINLESS TUBE STEPS
    JORDAN BRAKE CONTROLLER
    34ft 10,000 lb TRAILER, 50 GAL TRANSFERE FLOW TANK (total 76 gals)

Mine is doing the same thing.
    Still has original batteries in it.
    Going Friday to buy two Optimas.

I have a Surefire battery charger always plugged in along with a cell phone adapter. I don't leave a battery sitting in the charger and only use the CP charger when I need it.

I might try unplugging these to see if that helps.

3 years on the factory set isn't bad.....is it?
    1998 Black GMC Sierra SLT Ext. Cab 4x4 371,085 original miles. Original Engine/Trans
    2006 White GMC Sierra SLT 6.6 LBZ Duramax/Allision CrewCab 4x4 141,000 miles
    2005 Airstream Classic `28ft Travel Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by tinstar View Post
    3 years on the factory set isn't bad.....is it?
    Wouldn't make me very happy....
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510