Thread: Fair price for a 2000 Chevy 2500 Pickup????

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Fair price for a 2000 Chevy 2500 Pickup????

Hi,

As you can tell by my post count Im a relative newbie to this forum, though Ive lurked for a long time and have read and read. There is so much information on here even though I dont own a 6.5 TD Veh at this time, I feel its something I could work on no problem.

I'll cut to the chase. I have a 1991 Chevy K1500 Reg Cab Long Bed - it has a 350TBI motor - has about 250k miles - used to be my daily driver but now just my hunting/work truck. Ive severed my emotional attachment to it and am going to sell it.

Found this 2000 Chevy K2500 (Old body style or "Classic") Reg Cab Long bed pickup at a dealer online.

Ive called them and worked out a deal.

Ive figured if I pay for an independent inspection, pay KS Sales tax, shipping etc I'll have about $6800 in it to my door after fees/taxes etc.

Is this a bad price? NADA (I work for an insurance company and primarily do total losses shows around $7500 but on diesel pickups and especially older ones thats hit or miss and the market could swing that price north or south by a couple thousand.

I seem to think its ok, though I would like to only have $6k in it.

It looks like it needs new tires, Id plan on changing the injectors and glow plugs, as well as exhaust, a cold air kit and a PMD relocation kit. Id also buy some a/m rims and tires and whatever truck I bought (unless it had it already I was planning on buying a replacement bumper such as this The Lock - n - Load bumper is the one Id likely buy - Id have another $1500 or so in that.

Anyways, I guess back to my question, for those of you that follow the niche GM 6.5 diesel truck market - do you think this is a fair price on what I posted above. (This is provided the inspection checks out - everything seems kosher, however I want to have an independent company go look at it so Im not buying a lemon)

Thanks for your input. Hopefully someday when I do add a diesel to my toy box and get a little more knowledgeable I'll be able to add to the discussions here.

I'll be using this truck mainly as my hunting vehicle (long road trips) and work truck when I go to work on the rental house etc. I have no real reason for needing a diesel - however if Im spending less than $10k my options are limited as far as what kind of pickup I can buy. Dont want to spend more though I could afford it on a duramax. Dont want an LB7 as I dont know if Id be able to change the injectors myself if they went bad and am scared of the cost of them. The 6.5 injector prices seem more palatable and I also dont have the kind of money to throw around for an LLY or LMM Duramax.

Anyways, sorry for being windy and thanks for the input.

I'm not an expert at pricing these, but assuming that you're buying the truck for somewhere in the +/- $5,500 range... that sounds like a pretty good deal to me. If it turns out to be in decent shape - wouldn't expect it to be perfect - go for it.

But... playing devil's advocate a bit... do you need a new truck? Or, do you just want a new truck? I'm not saying don't buy it if you simply "want" it - just throwing it out there.

Where do you plan on being with the truck in the winter - any electricity near by? How cold does it get in the winter? These guys can get a little finicky to start (not always, sometimes) if you don't plug them in... especially if you forget to use enough anti-gel additive.
    1998 K2500 Suburban 6.5L TD 3.73 rear, Ron Schoolcraft 18:1, Kennedy ECM & IC, Timing gears, Splayed main caps, 3.5" Kennedy Exhuast/No Cat, K&N Filter, Boost/Tranny Temp/EGT(Pre Turbo), Ceramic-coated Manifolds, 195 Stat's, 265/75's (VSSB Adjusted) 7,000lbs (on a scale) Remote Mount Oil Filter, Remote Oil Pressure Sensor

Well I guess it was all for naught, was going to call back to day to finish up the deal but was just told it was sold.

I'll call back next week to see if the deal went through or not.

Anyways, as far as electricity, Id be at home (I work from home)

Id probably only put 3-4k miles on it a year. Just wanting a slight upgrade from what I have and something that gets better than 12 mpg.

KS winters arent that bad. We have our cold spells but they never last long.

I guess it was good price!

Good luck finding something.

For future reference...

MPG-wise - yeah, it will be better... but it's not going to light your world on fire. One thing to keep in mind is the cost of the new vehicle vs how long it would take you to recoup the purchase price via fuel savings. Again - just a little devil's advocate.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
    1998 K2500 Suburban 6.5L TD 3.73 rear, Ron Schoolcraft 18:1, Kennedy ECM & IC, Timing gears, Splayed main caps, 3.5" Kennedy Exhuast/No Cat, K&N Filter, Boost/Tranny Temp/EGT(Pre Turbo), Ceramic-coated Manifolds, 195 Stat's, 265/75's (VSSB Adjusted) 7,000lbs (on a scale) Remote Mount Oil Filter, Remote Oil Pressure Sensor

Oh I understand. I was probably dumb posting the link to the sale ad on here. Someone from this site may have bought it...ha.

I just didnt want to pay another $130 in it for an independent inspection...ha. Guess my indecision cost me.

Anyways I'll keep looking. The prices people want for duramaxes with high mileage are ridiculous. Not paying that much for one of them especially considering the older they get the more $$$ in maintenance you will have in the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by 1991 K1500 View Post
    Guess my indecision cost me.
    Well, there's two school's of thought on that. One is "you snooze you lose". The second is "it just wasn't meant to be". You pick which one!