I picked up a ’94 Yukon 2-door two years ago (LINK). For the most part, I like the little bugger. Easier in traffic, parking, and maneuverability than the ’93 K2500 long bed, but still enough room to haul things if I’m not looking for the full 4x8 sheets of building supplies and such.

Still, there are things that leave me wanting. First is the automatic. Mostly, it just comes down to that I’ve always driven a manual. I don’t like the feel of it and off-road I don’t feel I have the same control. A lot more riding the brakes instead of downshifting and letting the engine do the braking. Then, despite the PMD being relocated onto a cooler, I’ve got misgivings about that too. Finally, the K1500 just doesn’t feel as robust at the K2500 (more about that in a bit).

As mentioned in the other post, I’ve been keeping my eye out for a manual transmission MFI truck to cannibalize for parts to upgrade the Yukon. The manual transmission in a diesel is a rare one. It seems that most of the manuals you see out there are gas C/K1500 trucks. Diesels are more likely to have an automatic. I’m guessing that once you spend the extra for a diesel, you’re willing to spend the extra for an automatic - but the diesel/manuals are out there.

Initially, I was thinking I’d find a parts truck, swap the transmissions, swap the injection pumps and related paraphernalia, and then sell the parts truck again. With any luck, I could sell it for what I paid for it and just be out a bit of tax and minor costs. But as I thought about it more - and thought about the K2500 being more robust - the idea of swapping the bodies slowly grew…

The parts truck is likely going to be a pickup - if only because there are more of them out there. The bed on my K2500 has seen better days, so grab the “new” bed for it if it is in better shape and then pull the cab and front sheetmetal. While everything is apart, go over brake and fuel tubing and hoses, brake cables, wiring, and such. I’ve been replacing that on the K2500 lately - after 20+ years it all needs attention. Section the frame and plate it back together to get it down to Yukon length and drop the Yukon body onto it for a K2500 manual transmission MFI Yukon. If I were feeling adventurous, I could throw a short flatbed and the pickup cab back onto the Yukon chassis and sell it.

So, what are people’s thoughts? Worth doing? Totally crazy?