Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Smaller diesel engine, that would replace a gas inline four?

was it the 6.2 and 6.5's that would crack heads easy ??

AKMark is offline Building another 6.2L powered vehicle

6.2's, but cool them properly, and that shouldn't be a problem. I've had five 6.2L blocks and only one had cracked heads and it was that way when I got it.
    05 2500HD CC LB LLY, 4x4, 3.73s 235/85R16's, webasto cab heater, to keep it warm.
    03 Buick Rendezvous - When you average over 80 miles per day driving around, you need one of these.
    85 K-5, 6.2, SM465, Rockwell T221, 1 tons, 36's. More goodies to be installed as time and money allows.
    82 K20, 6.2, SM465, NP208, stock except for bed rack, snow plow, and glow plugs are on a toggle switch. It works great for plowing!
    72 Postal Jeep - Yet another project

What size rad should I run?
    Is there a vehicle I could get said rad from? (Stock one from a 6.2 powered vehicle would be okay I assume, any other options?)

Electric fans an option?

Transmission options... manuals... Munchie SM465 was mentioned, any others? I guess I could use my existing clutch pedal and resevoir?

What would be some ways to increase a 6.2s power, besides a turbo?
    I'd have to make a custom exhaust, so I think, and intake and exhaust combo would be one way, what are some others? would like to keep decent fuel mileage..

Would I have to beef up the front crossmember? I'm guessing I'll have to brace the frame. I'm guessing I'd have to buy or make a transmission crossmember....

I'm thinking that a 6.2 stock would be a good power increase over stock, and I probably won't haul much in my truck, other than... haha.

I'll have to put a different, stronger rear end, and I think I've found a suitable swap.. 8.8 read end out of a Ford Exploder...

Anything else I'd have to upgrade?

I'd use a 6.5 turbo but fuel mileage... and my shop teacher says that the blades tend to come off the turbos or something like that..

How big is a 6.2 compared to a 350? I could make a tall cowl hood for my truck, if the engine would not fit height wise...

Default S10 4-banger gas to diesel

Converting a 1984 s10 from 4-banger gas to a 6.2L diesel engine can be done however there are a few things to consider: Added weight on front end—a 6.2L has a dry weight of 702lbs—will all suspension and steering handle it.; the added weight of the larger rad; trans and everything else to complete the project.; A rear end to handle the added torque.Will the frame handle all the weight and stress. Putting the 6.2L into that small of an area will create heating problems for an engine that likes to run on the cool side. The exhaust system is going to be a nightmare to install. And when done a truck that is not going to handle very well with a frontend that is overly heavy and no weight on the back end(makes for a fun time in the winter). One solution is to find a compatible sized diesel donner and do a swap that way. OR Use the s10 as a daily driver and look for a full size unit that is diesel all ready and build it up the way you want. A p/u or burb in the same year range will go for anywhere from 500 to 3500 depending of condition and options. I picked up (read stole) a 1985 ½ ton 4x4 with a new motor, transmission, trans-case for 2500 body in good shape—electrical left much to desire {see photo section-More toys}.
    Good luck to you and if help is required do not be afraid to ask and we will help
    1985 K1500-sold
    79 dually 4x4-soon to have modified 6.2/6.5l turbo
    1996 shortbox-extended cab 2WD 1500 6.5L

Over the weekend i just traded my 6.2 blazer for a pair of Toyota diesel pickups......waiting for the razzing.....

But the little 4 cylinder in a mini truck like the toyota is about the right size diesel you would need for your S10. And the guy i'm getting these trucks from claims an easy 35 mpg city driving with the 2wd Toyota.

Just some more to think about.....
    2011 VW Jetta TDI, pretty well loaded without leather.
    2006 GMC Sierra D-max, 4x4, 4 door, bumper, winch, Espar heater, and the HID lights are a nice touch too.....
    1986 GMC 3500, 454 on propane, 4 speed, 4x4, crew cab dually......the welding truck
    1984 Toyota 4x4 pickup, 4.3 V6, 700R4, Toyota t-case.......transforming into 4x4 cage buggy

We've got small 2 cylinder, three and four cylinder diesels at work (airport ground support gear). Been thinking about getting something like a Kubota or Yanmar engine.

Just trying to find prices.

We have a lil Bobcat at work with a dump bed and it has a two or three cylinder Kubota.. Man its got jam!
    Just the 4 cylinders I have looked at have under 100hp. I guess they make decent torque.
    I think one of them has a turbo on it, and i guess I could replace it with a larger turbo in hopes of more power?
    I'm intrested in evenutally running some kinda veggie oil setup.

http://www.kubotaengine.com/products...00di_t_e3.html

http://www.yanmar.com/store/item.asp...PARTMENT_ID=55

Gopher, where you @ in alberta?
    I'm guessing these are gunna be a few thousand to tens of thousands each huh...
    Last edited by Gearstix; 07-12-2008 at 18:20.

Default What

6.2 to 'yota? Yeesh, and I thought that Albertans were Canada's last hope.

Oh well, gotta understand the pursuit for better milage. I'm looking at an 03/04 Jetta TDI.
    1993 HD2500- 4X4, Nv4500, rc/lb, Lots of mods, killed her. Awaiting her TT rebuild!

2002 Camaro L36/M49- Killed In Action

1995 HD2500 - 4X4, NV4500 rc/lb, GL4, Turbo, exhaust

1994 HD2500- 4X4, NV4500, ec/lb

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 Detroit Diesel View Post
    6.2 to 'yota? Yeesh, and I thought that Albertans were Canada's last hope.

Oh well, gotta understand the pursuit for better milage. I'm looking at an 03/04 Jetta TDI.
    Haahaha.
    Working around diesels all day (cept for 200ci 6cyl Fords) is getting me more into diesels..
    I love the sound...
    I DEFINITELY LOVE THE SOUND OF THE OLD GM DETROITS... mannnn screamin' jimmys... the firetrucks have them at the airport..

I don't think a diesel 4cylinder would fit from yanmar.. trying to get measuerments of the 2.2 engine and stuff.
    I know one of there 3 cylinders will fit but... its 35hp...

Gearstix, I'm actually from a small town called Two Hills, maybe you've heard of it. I hang around Edmonton quite a bit and of course wherever else i get sent for work.

On a side note.....I don't suppose you have any good 4-53 or 6V-53 Detroits floating around the airport stuff there??? Been looking for one for a project.....

And yeah, about the Toyota......that 6.2 performed awesome off-road, the engine itself never let me down, just the vehicle surrounding it. but the vehicle surrounding the engine seemed like way too much work for me and my schedule to really get into fixing. A good trade for a couple of trucks, not very common ones at that, seemed like a good idea....

The good fuel mileage of the 2wd is just a bonus
    2006 GMC Sierra D-max, 4x4, 4 door, bumper, winch, Espar heater, and the HID lights are a nice touch too.....
    1986 GMC 3500, 454 on propane, 4 speed, 4x4, crew cab dually......the welding truck
    1984 Toyota 4x4 pickup, 4.3 V6, 700R4, Toyota t-case.......transforming into 4x4 cage buggy

Quote Originally Posted by gophergunner View Post
    Gearstix, I'm actually from a small town called Two Hills, maybe you've heard of it. I hang around Edmonton quite a bit and of course wherever else i get sent for work.

On a side note.....I don't suppose you have any good 4-53 or 6V-53 Detroits floating around the airport stuff there??? Been looking for one for a project.....

And yeah, about the Toyota......that 6.2 performed awesome off-road, the engine itself never let me down, just the vehicle surrounding it. but the vehicle surrounding the engine seemed like way too much work for me and my schedule to really get into fixing. A good trade for a couple of trucks, not very common ones at that, seemed like a good idea....

i;m thinking i want a 6.2 in a older truck/burb or wagon

Quote Originally Posted by COMP View Post
    i;m thinking i want a 6.2 in a older truck/burb or wagon
    Ya, I've been thinking a 6.2 or 6.5 would sure sound nice in my old 1970 GMC....

Not too many of those trucks around in 4x4, nevermind diesel as well

Only Detroit we have at the shop we work at is a 8.2L normally asperated detroit in a ford cabover with an alison automatic.

One of the firetrucks has a two stroke detroit I think I mentioned, I love the sound of it roaring by everyday.

Whats the chances of finding a 6.2 in Edmonton or surrounding area?
    Our travel plans have changed and we might not make it to BC but were gunna see when we hit the road...

http://http://edmontonjeep.com/forum...pic.php?t=4652

here you go for $800........i'm not sure if its still for sale or not though.

hmmm.
    I'm not really sure if I can get a trailer to tow now.

If I do a diesel swap, I want to figure out everything I need.
    I'm worried about a transmission. Not sure what will fit, or work. I'm not sure if I want automatic or stick. Its a stick truck now, so would I be able to retain all the pedal and stuff now? I got the rear end figured out. I'm going to use a 4x4 94 up i think ford explorer posi rear.
    I would like to use a four cylinder, because its not as heavy (don't think so at least)
    Id like to turbo it aswell.
    I'm thinking if I were to do a V8 diesel it would be a 6.2 with 6.5 or homebuilt turbo setup.

theres alot of things I'm not 100% sure about.
    Went to the NADP August blackout. I love the power that diesels put out, the turbo spooling, the smoke, the noise. I would love to have a diesel in my truck.

A Toyota diesel would probably a decent setup. Toyota engine, and whatever transmission will fit that. I'd definitley want a turbo.

Found a 1L toyota diesel in Calgary, with trans but trans needs to be rebuilt. Comes with mounts, rad, intake, wiring, glow plug gear... might buy it..
    Last edited by Gearstix; 08-17-2008 at 19:49.

Check on parts availability for the tranny. My Toyota shop - I've been friends with the owner for years - steered me away from a Toyota motorhome because the transmission is almost impossible to get parts for.
    '94 Barth 28' Breakaway M/H ("StaRV II") diesel pusher: Spartan chassis, aluminum birdcage construction. Peninsular/AMG 6.5L TD (230HP), 18:1, Phazer, non-wastgated turbo, hi-pop injectors, 4L80E (Sun Coast TC & rebuild, M-H Pan), Dana 80 (M-H Cover), Fluidampr, EGT, trans temp, boost gage. Honda EV-4010 gaso genset, furnace, roof air, stove, microwave/convection, 2-dr. 3-way reefer. KVH R5SL Satellite. Cruises 2, sleeps 4, carries 6, and parties 8 (parties 12 - tested).

Stand-ins are an '02 Cadillac Escalade AWD 6.0L and an '06 Toyota Sienna Limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearstix View Post

A Toyota diesel would probably a decent setup. Toyota engine, and whatever transmission will fit that. I'd definitley want a turbo.

Found a 1L toyota diesel in Calgary, with trans but trans needs to be rebuilt. Comes with mounts, rad, intake, wiring, glow plug gear... might buy it..
    I have a 1984 Toyota 2wd pickup with a 2L (2.4 litre, 2L is just the engine name). Its in pretty darn good shape for its age and it starts and runs like a clock......and your in luck because I'm kinda wanting to get rid of it.

You can send me an email at ssapach@hotmail.com and I can send you some pics if you like.

If you seriously want that engine in your chevy, it will have all the parts to make it run. It would just seem like a shame to rip apart a truck like that just for an engine.

I have a 1984 Toyota 2wd pickup with a 2L (2.4 litre, 2L is just the engine name). Its in pretty darn good shape for its age and it starts and runs like a clock......and your in luck because I'm kinda wanting to get rid of it.

You can send me an email at ssapach@hotmail.com and I can send you some pics if you like.

If you seriously want that engine in your chevy, it will have all the parts to make it run. It would just seem like a shame to rip apart a truck like that just for an engine.
    Hmm... why don't you put a 350 gas or v8 diesel in it?
    I'll send you an email...

I have this thing posted up for sale a few places. So, not to be pushy or anything, but first guy wanting it bad enough and has the cash gets it.

hmm. I'm not really sure if I'd be able to buy the stuff from you gopher.
    Don't take it off the market.. if it sells and I don't buy it, Oh well.

I've got another 6.2 question.
    If I get a 6.2, could I use a small block chevrolet transmission, that would have been bolted to a gas engine?

Quote Originally Posted by Gearstix View Post
    hmm. I'm not really sure if I'd be able to buy the stuff from you gopher.
    Don't take it off the market.. if it sells and I don't buy it, Oh well.

I've got another 6.2 question.
    If I get a 6.2, could I use a small block chevrolet transmission, that would have been bolted to a gas engine?

yes it can, what transmission are you looking at?
    1976 m882 shortened with a 6.2 diesel, np205 and sm465 and HMMWV tires
    1992 Jeep YJ wrangler (project) plans are: 6.2 diesel engine, SM-465, Np-205, Dana 44 front, Dana 60 rear
    1989 GMC suburban, 6.5 TD, TH400, Np-241, dana 44 front , 14bolt rear with Gov locker.
    1997 Kenworth T800, 3406 Cat 575 HP, 18 speed, 4 speed Aux, 3.73 rears
    1986 K30 M1008 6.2 diesel th400 np208 4.56 gears dana 60 front and 14 blt rear

N/A? = Non-Aspirated? Not Available? Needs Air?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ