Thread: more cold stuff low coolant level

Went to the movies yesterday (probably shouldn't have, bad driving conditions) kids didn't have school. Everything OK on trip there. Came back out, bitter cold blowing snow, could barely find truck. Started it up and the low coolant light came on. Got back out to check level, it was hard to see but it looked OK, unscrewed the cap and there seemed to be a vacuum. Started it back up and the light was off. Today I checked thigs out in the garage and added a little DEX-COOL to bring it above the lip so that it was easier to see. I noticed there was a lot of ice built up on the cap and on the inside of the overflow. The fluid was liquid in the tank. Is it possible the cap froze up and caused a vacuum in the tank making the sensor think the level was low. How low does it have to get to have the light come on. I will be checking it very closely for a while now to make sure there is nothing wrong.
    Got Big Truck 2001 Chevy/Duramax/4X4/6 speed/crew cab/long box

My low coolant light came on today also, maybe it was because I put the truck in a ditch nose down at a 45 deg angle I was more concerned about low fuel light, sucking up air into the fuel system. I checked the overflow level and it was ok. Also noticed a vacuum when I opened the rad cap. I'll let you know if it goes out the next time I drive the truck
    The only thing damaged from ditching it was my pride
    02 Silverado LT D/A CC SB Onyx Black<br />85 Scottsdale K10 6.2 NA, NPA-833, NP208 3.42<br />92 Camaro Z28 L98<br />99 Ski-doo MXZ600<br />98 Yamaha WR400F<br />90 Yamaha YZ250WRA<br />85 Yamaha RZ500

Angry

My "low coolant level" came on but my radiator is now leaking at the top, going to the dealer Wed. morning Are there any radiator problems out there?
    Member# 9145
    03 GMC DMax 4x4 cc/sb,Loaded!
    Westin steps, Tekstyle quick hatch tonneau cover,Lund interceptor bug shield,ventshade-ventvisors, Husky-liner mud guards, all painted the same color as the truck (Polo Green), rhinoliner.
    65 vette, 327/4sp, conv. top/ hard top, Hurst competition plus shifter, otherwise all stock, 71,000 original miles.
    88 softail custom, customized. 16inch frontwheel,fatboy front fender,fishtail pipes,chrome goodies.custom seat and P-pad(cut down and narrowed).
    1999 25ft sunline TT

DEFECTED RADIATOR FROM FACTORY
    Member# 9145
    03 GMC DMax 4x4 cc/sb,Loaded!
    Westin steps, Tekstyle quick hatch tonneau cover,Lund interceptor bug shield,ventshade-ventvisors, Husky-liner mud guards, all painted the same color as the truck (Polo Green), rhinoliner.
    65 vette, 327/4sp, conv. top/ hard top, Hurst competition plus shifter, otherwise all stock, 71,000 original miles.
    88 softail custom, customized. 16inch frontwheel,fatboy front fender,fishtail pipes,chrome goodies.custom seat and P-pad(cut down and narrowed).
    1999 25ft sunline TT