Thread: Clicking when starting

Unhappy Clicking when starting

Hi,

I am hoping someone has seen this issue or has a suggestion. I have a 2007.5 GMC 2500, 6.6 DMAX, stock parts.
    Issue: When vehicle left for a couple of days truck just clicks over and over. Sometimes it will start but most times just clicks – starter not engaging. I can lift off and put back one of the Ground cables from a battery – doesn’t seem to matter which one, and the engine starts immediately. I have tried a number of different combinations and it does not seem to matter which battery. Sometimes I will remove the ground from the front one and no go but removing from the back one and putting it back solves the issue. There seems to be no pattern to this. I have cleaned all grounds on the batteries, both grounds on the block, the positive terminal fuse block located on the passenger side firewall and of course the batteries. Both batteries tested good (300Amps) 670CA each. They are AC Delco approximately 2 ½ years old – replaced on warranty by GM.
    Once the vehicle starts it will restart every time for the rest of the day. The voltmeter guage on the dash reads above 14 Volts for the first little while then it settles at 14Volts.
    I have tried just one battery at a time and had better luck with the passenger side battery than the front one. On occasion it still required disconnecting the ground or the positive and re-connecting.
    Also, of note , is when the clicking occurs I notice that the dual zone climate control goes back to default (I think). I normally just use one zone but after the clicking both zones are active and the temp setting is at 74F. The radio is just fine though.

Hi
    Check the main power connection on the starter.I had a Sunfire that someone had crossed the nut on the starter positive post.That stressed it enough that it was loose in the solinoid,after time the post loosened and the cable end wasn't tight and began to arc.the conection was bad and had the same thing,sometimes would just click we would wiggle the power wire and it would work,some wierd electrical things would happen.Sometimes a boost would do it.
    Anyhow a new solinoid and cleaned up the wire end,problem solved,the nut was striped and couldnt be tightened,or loosened.
    Thomas
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Thanks Yukon6.2! I was starting to think the solinoid connection as well. Mainly because it is the only connection in the loop I haven't cleaned.

If I am correct I believe I have to remove the tire and Wheel well cover to get at the starter?! Hence why it is the last thing I am checking.