Thread: roof marker lights out...help

Default roof marker lights out...help

I went to check why my center lights were out and did something bad because now none of them work. Tried looking for the fuse, I didn’t find any blown fuses but was never sure I had the right one. Got this from a post from 2005 I think, but don’t know what it means:
    Power is supplied from INT PRK Fuse 10A, located in Fuse Block-Left I/P. This leaves with BRN Wire routed to Fuse Block-Right I/P, pin B11 of connector C1. The BRN Wire leaves Fuse Block-Right I/P at pin B of Connector C^. All three lamps are wired hot. The common ground for the Base Crew Cab and Uplevels is G200, located on passenger side of dash.
    Hopefully someone can help me restore my lights to working order.
    Got Big Truck 2001 Chevy/Duramax/4X4/6 speed/crew cab/long box

Interesting thread. I noticed the other day, one marker bulb is burned out. Haven't fixed it yet, I'll look into both problems tomorrow when its light out.

Must be the week for marker light topics!
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

It may be an issue with the BCM or a ground also. Since the BCM controls the light functions.

OK you are going to have to explain BCM and the ground issue. There are 2 wires going to the lights so I figured the ground was already there...Thanks

BCM Body Control Module. It is kind of like the ECM computer that controls engine & Trans functions, except that the BCM control the lights and seats mirrors and such.
    Before BCMs if you turned on a switch for a light, it pretty much made the cicuit hot by allowing power via the battery through the switch to the light.
    On our vehicles the BCM decides when to add power or sometimes the circuit is hot but the BCM completes the ground to that cicuit in order to illuminate a light or functions. Like when you exit the vehicle and the lights stay on for a preset amount of time, or the dome light dims slowly and goes out when you exit the vehicle.
    Or if you foget to turn off interior lights, it will turn them off after about 10 minutes, so your battery dosn't go dead. A tech 2 or OBD 2 scan tool might tell you what is going on.
    If you have a friend with one. Good luck.

Thanks cowboywildbill, that explains a lot. Since I have had many problems with the center set of lights, I had broken the little connector in there and had to solder it. That was last year. Things were working fine till a little while ago and one of the three lights was out. When I took it apart trying to be very careful with my solder job, I might have made contact with the 2 wires, making me think I blew a fuse. Now I have no power to any of the roof lights, and one other thing I've noticed is that when I turn on the headlights all the dash lights dim like they are supposed too, but the radio display does not. I have recently purchased a "Scangauge II", but it shows no codes. I probably blew some little circuit in the BCM and now will never get them to work. Sounds like I'm doing some body work in the near future, since NYS won't pass a vehicle inspection if an installed light does not work.

Default Thanks "Modified" for your guidance

Finely. My truck is up for inspection this month so once again I decided to attack the roof marker light thing again. I re-soldered the tiny little connectors for the center three lights, still no lights. The answers here misled me to thinking I wouldn't be able to fix the BCM problem, and I was about to give up, until I read a reply from "Modified" from a thread from 1/7/2005 named marker lights (go figure), who gave a better explanation of the fuse for the marker lights, which turns out to be kind of hidden below a 25 amp circuit breaker type fuse. It had a blown 15 amp in there when a 10 amp is called for, so I must have blown this fuse before, memory is the first thing to go!!! So in goes a new 10 amp, and lights!! along with my headlight chime when the switch is on and you take the key out, and I bet my radio will dim when the lights are on. So if I had just gone with my first instinct last November and really searched for the blown fuse my marker lights would have been working all this time. Thanks "Modified" for doing what Chevrolet can't seem to do in the owners manual, really explain what fuse goes to what. INT PRK makes sense, kind of. but not when your searching for a blown fuse in an almost inaccessible location

Power is supplied from INT PRK Fuse 10A, located in Fuse Block-Left I/P. This leaves with BRN Wire routed to Fuse Block-Right I/P, pin B11 of connector C1. The BRN Wire leaves Fuse Block-Right I/P at pin B of Connector C^. All three lamps are wired hot. The common ground for the Base Crew Cab and Uplevels is G200, located on passenger side of dash.

I have read and re-read this about a dozen times. Is there any way you could please break this down into layman terms and where exactly is this almost inaccessible location.

My situation: I have a 03 Quadrasteer that came w/ led lights inside the marker lamps giving off a piss yellow color. I swapped them out for the factory 194 bulbs. After the swap I noticed the 3-light roof marker and the single light above the driver didn't work. When I replaced the driver side light I noticed it was now foggy so I replaced it. Then I made my way to the 3-light roof marker and noticed all those bulbs were fine. Light above driver is now working fine but middle 3-light roof marker is still inoperable.
    Last edited by upgrade; 03-04-2016 at 14:37.

Default Location of Fuse Block

Where is the fuse block Left I/P located?

Open the driver's door and look at the butt end of the instrument panel (I/P). There should be a small panel that pops out.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510