I have a 1993 Suburban that I converted a while back to a 6.2L diesel. I installed a 700R4 at the time, but it has always felt flimsy to me, and I have very little faith in it. I have recently acquired a freshly rebuilt TH400 with only 1,300 miles on it from my friend. He put it briefly in his '72 Chevelle with a 300 HP 350 crate engine in front of it. He swapped it out for a Muncie 4 speed. It was rebuilt by Pat's Transmissions in Delaware County PA, so I know it is properly done, because I used to deal with them all the time when I lived in the area. My dilemma is this:

I need to put a taller axle ratio in the Suburban to use the TH-400 because right now I have 3.73 gears. I have recently finished converting my 1996 Ford F-150 from 2wd to 4wd, so I have a good Ford 8.8 axle with 2.73 gears that I want to use. It is stronger than the 8.5 corporate 10 bolt, plus it has a VSS built in to it that produces a VSS signal that is compatible with my Digital Ratio Adapter if I re-jumper it. It is in excellent condition, and other than re-drilling the axle flanges and drums to the Chevy pattern, I think it would be a good fit. What I don't know however is if the perches will match the Suburban's leaf springs or if they are spaced differently. I wanted to see if anyone here could help with that. I know that the TH-400 needs a tighter converter, and I know that I need a diesel governor and a VRV, but I have that covered. I also know that some people think the 2.73 ratio is too tall, but mu 6.2 pulls 2nd gear on the 700R4 just fine from a near dead stop (from 5 mph at part throttle it accelerates pretty briskly) and the 700R4's 2nd gear with 3.73 axle gears is significantly taller than the TH400's 1st gear and a 2.73 axle, so I don't see it as a problem. I should mention that I don't tow with the Suburban.