Thread: Where to locate the brake controller?

Post Where to locate the brake controller?

I'm looking for suggestions on where to install the brake controller on my new 02? On my 94 the angle of the dash wasn't that bad but the new trucks dash is almost verical.

Thanks
    Oneton
    2002 3500HD Pewter/lt grey interior Crew Cab 4x4 LT Durmax/Allison

Anchorage, Alaska but living in Colorado because Uncle Sam knows best!!

1ton,

I mounted mine to the right of the driver seat. There is a sheet metal edge right at the bottom of the dash plastic that is damn near horizontal. It already has holes in it but I drilled new ones. The finished product is outstanding if I do say so myself. check out my pics.
    2002 2500HD Crew Cab<br />Long Bed, LT, 4X4<br />Summit White (Alaskan Camo)<br />Line-X Bed Liner<br />Husky Floor Liners<br />Pulling a 2000 Jayco Qwest 240A<br /><a href=\"http://www.picturetrail.com/alaskadmax\" target=\"_blank\">My Pics</a><br />Member 6846

Thumbs up

I went through this exact same issue a few days ago. Finally, I bit the bullet and drilled holes in the dash skirt about 1/2 way down so that it is in front of my right knee.

I couldn't mount it any lower as it interferred with my leg. I have the Prodigy and according to the instructions, it will work up to an angle of 70 degrees. I don't think this is quite 70 degrees and it works great.

I think your success in getting a controller to work at a steep angle such as this, is possible. I know I've had others that I don't think would have worked well at that angle.

Others here have installed their controller where the ashtray is.....when removed of course. I looked at that, but couldn't figure out how to remove the metal bracket used by the ashtray.

Let us know where you decided to locate it.
    Jim<br /><br />Silver Grey 2008 Silverado, LTZ,CC,4x4,dually, D/A, Fumoto, Rhino Liner, Garmin Nuvi 660, Edge Juice
    2007 Mobile Suites Deluxe 5th Wheel RV

I mounted mine to the under the steering columnr seat. There is a sheet metal edge right at the bottom of the dash plastic that is horizontal with two holes already drilled in it. I would have preferred off to one side but didn't want to drill any holes. I only set it when I hook up and it is easy to reach should I want to apply the brakes manually.

It is a good idea to leave the area in front of your knees clear. The lower dash is designed to prevent you from submarining in the event of an accident.
    2002 GMC 2500HD Pewter/Pewter CC/LB/4x4/SLT Duramax/Allison<br />AMSOIL Air Filter, AMSOIL Dual Remote Oil Filter<br />Advanced Cover folding tonneau cover

Kennedy Guest

I put my Prodigy in the dead end cubby hole in the dash. This displaced my Duramaximizer control knob, but I don't like these things to be seen anyhow, so I relocated it under the dash.

MOUNTED MINE CENTER WAYS OF THE ACCELLARATOR AND BREAK PEDDLE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PLASTIC AND INTO THE METAL LIP; THIS WAY IT CAN BE PERFECTICALY LEVEL AND EASIALLY ACCESSABLE. NO OBSTRUCTIONS.
    2002 Ext. Cab. 4x4 SWB D/A<br />Summit White, Marker Lamps, Snow Plow Pkg & H/D Trailer Pkg. Alloys, Husky mats & Westin Bars, Vent Shades, Bugflector, Kenosha brake cont. Rugged liner, camper mirrors.

Mounted mine next to the emergency brake release handle. It's underneath out of the way but still can reach it if need to. Once I set it up I never
    have had to touch it..
    2002 Silverado DA combo 4 whl CC.
    New longblock 138252 Miles , Sill protectors
    Husky flaps
    SS Nerf Bars , Access Cover\' Coverall mats ,Lovern smoked bug shield , Dual Power Seats ,W,T.Tinted Vent Shades
    http://www.picturetrail.com/deerhunter7

Refer to the pics from tmg115 & SoMnDMAX, I mounted mine in the same location kinda centered between gas and brake pedals. As mentioned there's a metal lip there to mount your controller to. It looks like it'll interfer and hit your foot on, but there's plenty of room. Mines been mounted for 6 months now, and I've never hit it with my big size 12's. Location is easy access for manual applications. Dumb luck placed it slightly outa sight under the steering wheel so I don't have to see the little red light every time I brake. Caution on wiring with the factory cable that goes to the fuse box, the wiring colors don't necessarily match, so check your controlers wiring schematic. Happy towing [img]smile.gif[/img]
    '02 2500HD, LS, Ext Cab, LB, D/A combo, 4x4, Indigo Blue (the good lookin' blue), Graphite Interior/Buckets, just about every option but leather
    MAN ... I LOVE THIS THING!!

Thanks guys. It look like I'll mount it just left of the console. I had it mounted in nearly the same place on my 94.

As for the wiring, I couldn't find my original instructions but did find one to print off the WEB. I have the optional factory trailering wiring along with the HD trailer package. I'm short a wire on the factory harness that goes to illumination but I don't think it necessary for the Voyager XP

Almost 2000 mile on her right now and I hope to do the first pull this weekend. I can't wait.

Thanks again
    on edit&gt;

Updated: I got the controller install and decided to put it where the two factory holes are in the center. As luck would have it, I used a piece of metal from an old 79 TA top brace that had a healthy metal back brace with two stainless screws that lined up perfectly with the holes in the dash and the bracket

Life is good, now it Miller time

[ 07-31-2002: Message edited by: oneton ]</p>
    Oneton
    2002 3500HD Pewter/lt grey interior Crew Cab 4x4 LT Durmax/Allison