Thread: Head rebuilding

Default Head rebuilding

OK I got great news the turbo side head came off and no block damage around the fire rings on the block. Also found my water leak where I was burning my coolant, very fixable. Pistons and bore are all in good shape.

So now I have new injectors, glow plugs and line kit coming and am going to build the new heads I bought. Also valve seals, going to re-use my valves and springs.

Torque specs on injectors was told 50 ftlbs and 15 ftlbs for the glow plugs.

Should I use anti-seize anywhere?

Ant advise or suggestions would be appreciated!
    1995 Chevy 2500, 6.5L Diesel mostly stock 234,000 miles. Changed the water pump to HO WP, deleted the vacuum pump and added a mechanical wastegate controller made by me with info from others on the forum.

Anti seaze on the glow plugs and you could use it sparingly on the injector threads too.

Be sure the head bolt holes in the block are clean (run the proper metric tap through) then spray the threads with brakekleen and blow dry.

The head bolts have a dry silicone sealer installed out of the box.

The installation torque is a strange routine if you have not used the TTY bolts.

First pass 22 ft lbs (If I remember correctly) then 55 pounds through the entire pattern.. THEN 1/4 TURN MORE on all bolts through the torque pattern.

Bolts are not reusable.

Do not use any sealer on the FELPRO gasket or the bolts.

Have fun
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Thanks Robyn
    1995 Chevy 2500, 6.5L Diesel mostly stock 234,000 miles. Changed the water pump to HO WP, deleted the vacuum pump and added a mechanical wastegate controller made by me with info from others on the forum.