Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Detroit Diesel

Lightbulb 4-53 Conversion

They are only expensive if you are going to pay a shop to do it.... You can get a complete rebuild kit for a 4-53 for about $1200.
    One cool thing about the 2 cycle DD is they dont have a central high pressure and high price injector pump just a continuous loop fuel pump and the injectors are mechanical... rocker activated plungers... you can loose an injector or two and they just keep running! The 2 stroke DD date back to WW II developed for the armed forces as a simple and reliable engine.
    You can also thumb your nose at the Oil Barrons! How? In warm climates you can run the Detroit Diesel On well filtered waste fryer oil or in cooler climates Preheat WVO & Block.... Google treehugger they ran a 2-71 generator on strait WVO for 40,000 Hrs (if my memory serves me) then donated it to a NY Museum were it's still chugging away!
    FREE FUEL!!!

None of us are as smart as all of us.

its hard to not want such a great sounding engine with a strong history of reliability. if my memory is correct, the 71 series was produced for about 60years before it was discontinued.

there are a few videos on youtube of a 1964 chev 1/2 ton 4x4 with a 3-53 from a gama goat in it. he claims 28 mpg on the highway. pretty good for a full size 4x4. and it sounds pretty damn nice

i definately want to get a detroit diesel into a pickup truck one day, but most people around here are very discouraging and always say "an easier and better engine to swap in would be a cummins"......i don't want a cummins though

but if i can find a good engine, running or else in need of rebuild then i think my project will be under way.
    2011 VW Jetta TDI, pretty well loaded without leather.
    2006 GMC Sierra D-max, 4x4, 4 door, bumper, winch, Espar heater, and the HID lights are a nice touch too.....
    1986 GMC 3500, 454 on propane, 4 speed, 4x4, crew cab dually......the welding truck
    1984 Toyota 4x4 pickup, 4.3 V6, 700R4, Toyota t-case.......transforming into 4x4 cage buggy

I had a 4-53 in an IH travelall. Things I disliked: Noise (but that is exactly what you LIKED), fuel economy (only got 12-13 mpg). Things I liked: Power and torque.
    My boss had a 4-71 in an old work truck and it always sounded a lot more "sedate" than mine (lower rumble, smoother), not sure why.

If you want to go with the aluminum 4-71, I would recommend investing in an Allison 1000 transmission (if you want A/T) or one of the newer 6 or even 7 speed manuals. The DDAD's rev like there's no tomorrow, but they don't like to lug. Right gears will make the whole experience a LOT better.

well if i were to do this, i'm thinking of a pickup truck size here, and 4x4 as well. but preferably manual transmission. just seems to me that a 4-71 is a bit taller and heavier, and a 6 or 7 speed for it would be a fairly heavy transmission as well. would make me worry about the front axle a little.

my dad still has a 1969 gmc 9500 tandem axle truck on the farm. he uses it every spring and fall and it doesn't seem to let him down. its got a 6-71 that has been rebuilt twice, the second time was due to a broken crankshaft from the first rebuild which was only about 100 miles old at the point of the second rebuild. but even if those engines don't usually like low rpm, this thing could tear its own brakes apart in low gear............

i grew up on the farm and listening to that truck throughout the years made me love the detroit diesel sound. which is why i am wanting one in a pickup truck now
    2006 GMC Sierra D-max, 4x4, 4 door, bumper, winch, Espar heater, and the HID lights are a nice touch too.....
    1986 GMC 3500, 454 on propane, 4 speed, 4x4, crew cab dually......the welding truck
    1984 Toyota 4x4 pickup, 4.3 V6, 700R4, Toyota t-case.......transforming into 4x4 cage buggy

Default 4-71 Detroit

To bad your so far away. I have a 4-71 but it has a cast iron block. all the parts are there needs an overhaul tho...........even have an inline bell housing that's aluminum for an automotive application

The problem with the 471 or any other 71 series engine is that is has a longer stroke than a 53 series and it cannot turn to as many RPM. A 71 series can't be turned past about 2600 while a 53 can be turned as far as 3200 safely. The advantage of a 53 is that you can take the back housing off an aluminum block 353, some of them had a back housing that would bolt to a chevrolet bell housing. I've got one I'm fixing to put in a 1985 Chevy 1 ton, It is a 453 Cast iron block, a back housing off an aluminum 353, it will bolt to the existing bellhousing and a 4 spd manual tranny. The only problem is that the housing won't fit a 6v engine. I work for a man that specializes in 2 stoke detroits, he is awesome at all of this stuff. He had one of those 353s with the chevy bolt pattern in a half ton truck, but he wrecked the truck. Still has the engine, complet with bellhousing and motor mounts, I think I'm going to buy it, as its only $1250 and I think it might be great for a project down the road sometime. I am going to see how the little detroit does in the truck, if I like, I'm going to have it rebuilt as a turbo motor later. A 453 turbo would give you all the power you need, they used to put them in ton and half chevys, but I am looking at one day having a 6v53t with an Allison Auto behind it, that would be ideal for a 1 ton, plenty of power.

even if the 71 series doesn't rev as high, a 4-71 would have enough torque for some 3.08 gears and appropriately sized tires i think.....i would really be worried about engine dimensions and weight really.

like i said before, i keep getting discouraged about this kind of conversion from anyone who deals with detroit engines. you'd think they'd encourage me and try to sell me some stuff.

i noticed some pamphlets at the detroit dealer in edmonton for rebuilt 53, 71, 92, 110, and 149 series engines, but i didn't dare ask about it cause i'm sure they don't come cheap for a full rebuild from those guys. but i'm keeping my eye out for a good used one, hopefully still in running condition, but if someone were to have a good setup with the correct bellhousing i would consider buying it. the cost of shipping might be worth it since i'm not having much luck around here. or else a nice road trip to pick it up

Question Detroit Deezil

I really think U should go with a 53, a 4 if possable............6V U need a shoe horn to get it under the hood. I have specialized in the 2 strokes since 1971,22 years with Peninsular Diesel who was the distributor for Michigan.Feel free to scratch my head anytime always willing to throw my $0.02 worth in if it helps Great if not ...............OH WELL

i'm willing to take any advice and tips i can on this topic.

judging from the views on the 2 detroit diesel threads, i think this is a popular topic really.

i am currently working on my 89 blazer for my off-road buggy, but once that thing gets up and going i think i will focus my time on this detroit diesel pickup dream i've been having........

my dream goes as follows.....not sure on which engine exactly, but leaning towards 4-53, NV4500, NP205 all supported on a K2500 or 3500 frame with 14-bolt full floating rear end and Dana 60 front end to support all that weight.

as i said, dream so far, but if its not possible to use an NV4500 without expensive adapters and whatnot, then i'll use an SM465. however, i will welcome all clues, tips and hints about adapters and correct bellhousings here. i asked a fellow at Novak Conversions but he has not gotten back to me yet. and i'm willing to use a different t-case if it saves me trouble in my build-up.

also, if anyone seems to have any good leads on a good engine, aluminum block would be nice, feel free to send me some info. i am in canada, so distance may be an issue, but sometimes ya just can't turn down a good deal if it comes along.

costs add up, but the uniqueness of the truck is worth it in the end

Default 4 53t conversions

Hey guys- I am new to the forum and have been reading up on your posts. I recently purchased 2 DD 4 53t's with intent of repowering my old jeeps. In my J10 I have swapped in 1 ton axles and a divorced NP205 which I with couple to an Allison 545 behind the 453t. I hope it works OK. In my '77 Cherokee I have GM HD 3/4 axles from a '73 C20 4x4. I would like to use a manual transmission but need some help with choosing one that will work. I got the GM axles from a neighbor who still has the rest of the '73 C20... could the transmission and T-case possibly bolt up? I have never worked on anything other than older Fords so I am not sure on what will swap. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

PS Would a 353 be better in the Cherokee?...bought the 453 cause it was CHEAP! Maybe I should swap???

i always keep an eye out on ebay, might strike a deal one day.

personally i'd think a 3-53 would be enough for a cherokee, since a fellow repowered a 1964 chev 4x4 with a 3-53.......he's got videos on youtube that i just love to watch

I know I've worn out the mouse button for the past month clicking play!

Quote Originally Posted by tjmac77 View Post
    I know I've worn out the mouse button for the past month clicking play!

good to know i'm not the only one with the detroit diesel obsession

Question

Do you know if the 453 and 353 have the same bell housing pattern...hate to sound stupid. Am I wrong thinking the 353 is a DOT 3 and the 453 is a DOT 4? I keep coming up with conflicting info when I search the web. Will a particular Chevy bell housing bolt right up or is there a lot of modifying involved?

Quote Originally Posted by tjmac77 View Post
    Do you know if the 453 and 353 have the same bell housing pattern...hate to sound stupid. Am I wrong thinking the 353 is a DOT 3 and the 453 is a DOT 4? I keep coming up with conflicting info when I search the web. Will a particular Chevy bell housing bolt right up or is there a lot of modifying involved?
    sorry, not sure exactly. i myself am still wondering whats required to make a chevy transmission bolt up. the guys at the local detroit dealer told me that they use SAE #1 bellhousings on the motors. and he never specified what size or series though....

Thumbs up Rear housings

the inline rear housings will interchange, I think there are 3 maybe 4 different different size openings for the flywheel and clutch assembelies. they also have adapters to fit different applications to power transmissions PTO's or hydraulic pumps. WHEN you start getting down to the nitty gritty of putting this thing together I can fax you a sheet with the spec's and measurements........have to dig it out of the archives

Quote Originally Posted by DeezilDoc View Post
    the inline rear housings will interchange, I think there are 3 maybe 4 different different size openings for the flywheel and clutch assembelies. they also have adapters to fit different applications to power transmissions PTO's or hydraulic pumps. WHEN you start getting down to the nitty gritty of putting this thing together I can fax you a sheet with the spec's and measurements........have to dig it out of the archives
    ok.......this is whats mostly been holding me up from avidly searching for an engine. i have a 79 pickup sittin around that needs some good axles, but meanwhile it has a 350, SM465, and NP205.

so i'm thinking the tranny and t-case will work just fine for me, as long as i can get the transmission bolted up to a detroit engine and get a clutch that will work with this thing.

what can you tell me about the engine to transmission adapters? maybe you have a part number from general motors or detroit diesel??? any help would be appreciated. thanks

Angry update

Quote Originally Posted by reighna View Post
    They are only expensive if you are going to pay a shop to do it.... You can get a complete rebuild kit for a 4-53 for about $1200.
    One cool thing about the 2 cycle DD is they dont have a central high pressure and high price injector pump just a continuous loop fuel pump and the injectors are mechanical... rocker activated plungers... you can loose an injector or two and they just keep running! The 2 stroke DD date back to WW II developed for the armed forces as a simple and reliable engine.
    You can also thumb your nose at the Oil Barrons! How? In warm climates you can run the Detroit Diesel On well filtered waste fryer oil or in cooler climates Preheat WVO & Block.... Google treehugger they ran a 2-71 generator on strait WVO for 40,000 Hrs (if my memory serves me) then donated it to a NY Museum were it's still chugging away!
    FREE FUEL!!!

None of us are as smart as all of us.
    Google Green-trust to find web site, 4,000 hrs is correct, $600 for 4-53 kit...

Default 4-53 performance info

I am new to this forum. I am looking for any information on getting maximun HP out of a Detroit 4-53 engine. The engine is in a pulling tractor and currently turning it 3200 RPM with 100 inectors. Wondering if can do head work, camshaft work, etc. to increase HP? I can't run a turbo. Any information will be appreciated.

Default 4-53 max HP

Quote Originally Posted by DeezilDoc View Post
    I really think U should go with a 53, a 4 if possable............6V U need a shoe horn to get it under the hood. I have specialized in the 2 strokes since 1971,22 years with Peninsular Diesel who was the distributor for Michigan.Feel free to scratch my head anytime always willing to throw my $0.02 worth in if it helps Great if not ...............OH WELL
    I am new to forum. I would like to scratch your head on getting max HP out of a 4-53 Detroit. appreciate any help.