Thread: 94 lb7 K1500 conversion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 94 lb7 K1500 conversion

94 lb7 k1500
    I've finally decided to dive in.
    I seized the original 5.7L 350 in my 1994 Chevy 1500 4wd a couple months ago and have been debating what to do with it since.

This was my first truck. I'll keep it forever, and it will be my son's first truck in about 14 years.
    It has a 4L60E, I believe.
    I plan on solid axle swapping soon also, 3/4 ton front and back.

I spent 1000$ last year on vortec heads, push rods, rocker arms, ignition, gaskets, and TBI to vortec head conversion intake manifold, all brand new (except heads- they were reworked.)

Well just recently I changed my mind even i saw a local ad on Craigslist.
    I've always had the dream of swapping a 4 or 6bt in, but never found one.

I found am lb7 out of a 2003 Silverado.
    The guy who I picked it up from owns a bada$s LARGE heavy equipment shop. There were semis and rat rods all over the place.
    This made me feel better about dropping 2300$ on an engine that I did not see run.

He bought the donor truck running, and pulled the 6.6L out, as well as the Allison transmission, ECU, TCU, engine bay fuse box, and the full engine wiring harness. he did this with the intentions of puting the engine in a rollback truck but said hewas not able to find the time.
    The transfer case is sitting in the donor behind his shop still, available.
    He offered ot trade me for about 900$ of chevy 350.. What are these t-cases worth in good codition?

the allison that is with the engine is no good.. where is a good place to buy a remanned one from that offers a core charge?

I got the engine home, went to harbor freight, got a 2 ton picker and got it set in the garage.
    Then I moved the truck in the garage, after cleaning my work area real good of course..

a couple friends offered to help and we got to it and got the whole front clip off and engine+transmission out.

i'm working on pulling the electrical minus the BCM, and degreasing the frame to clean up from the long term-oil build up from the leaking 5.7L 350. lol
    Kenny
    Attached Images Attached Images

Arrow

I'd recommend getting the complete 2003 truck if it's available. There'll be lots of small parts in it that will reduce the cost of conversion.

Transmissions... www.kennedydiesel.com will help you. The 2003 transfer case will be needed if your truck is a 4x4.

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    I'd recommend getting the complete 2003 truck if it's available. There'll be lots of small parts in it that will reduce the cost of conversion.

Transmissions... www.kennedydiesel.com will help you. The 2003 transfer case will be needed if your truck is a 4x4.
    I'll check out the link for the transmissions, thank you!

As for the transfer case.. Is there no chance that I can use the one that Is still mounted in the truck?
    It works good, and was mounted to the 4L60E, but separated before I got engine/trans out.

It looks like it will bolt up, I'm not so much asking if it will give me good 4x4 use as much as I'm asking if it will even allow the truck to be complete and moveable untill a different tcase can me purchased.
    It uses a manual shift lever obviously, and I know I would shred it quick if abused..

The full truck is available and the guys says he will let me pick through it as I go. But buying the entire truck is not an option with finances being considered.
    Before you tell me this will cost crazy amounts of money and can't be done without, I understand that, I'm prepared for that, just not all at once.
    I'll score parts paycheck by paycheck.
    I've included some more pics!
    Kenny
    Attached Images Attached Images

Arrow

Your current NV241 transfer case is not compatible with the Allison transmission. Bolt patterns are one thing. In/Out shafts/splines are another. You could "convert" one to fit the other, but the conversion will likely cost as much or more than sourcing the correct NV261XHD TC.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

I'm getting the donor truck Monday!!

I lucked out and got to deal with good people who want to see this project move along!
    Otherwise, I would have had to proceed one paycheck at a time..

Now I have lots of things I need! The transfer case is included, and some of the other things I'm thinking I'll be able to use
    -fuel tank
    -rear axle
    -accel pedal
    -entire dash
    -intercooler (if it fits)
    And much more
    Kenny

Kenny,
    You say the Allison is no good. What is wrong with it. They are pretty much bullet proof. Maybe it just needs a refresh and then you'd have the whole package!
    Talk to "More Power". He's done this conversion and is the master!
    Dave
    Dave, N9LOV
    Member #242
    Dave's Diesels:
    Sold June, 07 '82 1/2 ton 4X4;340k miles
    '97 2 Dr Tahoe, Intercooled,
    Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
    '02 GMC

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by kgoff6 View Post
    I'm getting the donor truck Monday!!

I lucked out and got to deal with good people who want to see this project move along!
    Otherwise, I would have had to proceed one paycheck at a time..

Now I have lots of things I need! The transfer case is included, and some of the other things I'm thinking I'll be able to use
    -fuel tank
    -rear axle
    -accel pedal
    -entire dash
    -intercooler (if it fits)
    And much more
    Kenny
    Kenny, I would trade the 2003 HD rear axle for a GM 9-1/2" semi-floater like the one I used. GM used the 9-1/2" rear axle in these heavy-half ton and light-3/4 ton trucks back in the day, and they are available in 6 lug to fit the half ton wheels. I haven't broken the rear axle in my truck, even with 600+ rear wheel dyno horsepower. The 2003 HD axle is really too heavy for the chassis and the mismatch in wheel lugs would complicate things. You can read more about the rear axle I used here: http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/randys.htm

I recommend keeping the original 1995 and newer dash, just modify the cluster mount to accept the 2003 cluster. That will greatly uncomplicated the conversion. Though, you should fit the 2003 steering column, which will give you the correct cable shift mechanism for the Allison and all of the electrical will be plug-n-play. In the 1994 model year vehicles, It's a toss-up whether to change the entire dash... I'd look hard at finding a way to keep your original dash. The dash conversion in my truck was as or even more difficult in some ways than the engine conversion - took nearly as long too. There are ways to do a conversion while keeping your original dash cluster. There's a motorhome conversion discussion here in this forum about just such a thing.

Jim
    Last edited by More Power; 01-31-2024 at 12:45.