Thread: 5.9L Cummins in 93 Chevy 4x4

Smile 5.9L Cummins in 93 Chevy 4x4

what an extensive conversion.
    I've had the engine set, bolted up to the NV4500 for about 2 months now, lacking only time. Can't seem to get any time from work (ah-a fellow complaining he has a job..) I plan to do the remainder of the conversion in July on my vacation time.
    --driveshaft has been shortened and balanced. $38 (good price)
    --Need to line up cross members and drill holes. EZ.
    --140 AMP Nippon Denso alternator converted to internal regulator and tach pickup $75
    --need to pull the PS pump and braze in a 3d return fitting.
    --still have to fit and plumb the Dodge cummins intercooler.
    --still have to order 2"body lift kit. Can't close the hood now. Will also provide room over the transmission bell housing area for work..
    Who has the best 2" body lift kit?
    Wayne
    93 Chevy 4x4, 1 T 5sp Diesel Depot 18:1 ceramic & graphite coated pistons, balanced 6.5TDA, Ceramic lamenated head & exhaust manifolds, Marine 300 HP pump, hi-pop injectors, GM8 turbo with custom manual boost controller; intercooled (19 LBS BOOST), big exhaust, hi-output water pump & dual thermostats, programable glow plug controller, 60G glow plugs, Custom boost & pyrometer gages mounted in former flip-out ash tray, 50 gallon external fuel tank 900-1500 cruising range, goose, RV and receiver hitches; all-in-all--just a little modified for towing. <br />85 Mercedes 300SD <br />81 VW DIESEL Pickup - my sweet & immaculate high MPG daily driver <br />66 Bronco (itchin to put a Mercedes 5 cyl into)<br />59 Dexta with 3 banger Perkins Diesel<br />81 Ford 4X4 Compact Diesel tractor<br />I\'ve driven only diesels since 1979-I think I am a convert. <br />DP # 1146

I never pay attention to body-lifts,never liked them.I see you have a legit need.It figures I couldn`t find any ads now.I think it`s called Performance Accesories,they`re always popping up.4WheelPartsWholesalers sells those.RoughCountry.com,too.I hope you`re prepared to share all the details when the beast is running.I`d like to get my hands on a Cummins.
    aka:Tim

`91 V2500 Scottsdale Suburban:6.2 4L80E 4"Lift 35s
    `92 K3500 SLE SRW:Peninsular6.5TD Peninsular 5spd
    `72 K20 CustomDeluxe Highlander CustomCamper
    `72 K20 CheyenneSuper CustomCamper
    `72 K2500 SierraGrande
    `71 K10 CustomDeluxe 6' Fleetside

Checked the sights, and have called. Problem is some of the kits won't work with diesel.
    Will call and talk to 4x4 reps.
    In time. I'll have a kit before I start work on the project again in early July. I'm just too busy now to work on it. I don't need to tow until late July.
    I have pictures and memories of skin knuckles on this project. I'd love to share. The one regret I have on this project is that I did not know I needed the body lift kit. If I had done the lift before the 6.5pull and 5.9L install, my task would have been so much easier. We learn.
    Wayne
    Wayne
    93 Chevy 4x4, 1 T 5sp Diesel Depot 18:1 ceramic & graphite coated pistons, balanced 6.5TDA, Ceramic lamenated head & exhaust manifolds, Marine 300 HP pump, hi-pop injectors, GM8 turbo with custom manual boost controller; intercooled (19 LBS BOOST), big exhaust, hi-output water pump & dual thermostats, programable glow plug controller, 60G glow plugs, Custom boost & pyrometer gages mounted in former flip-out ash tray, 50 gallon external fuel tank 900-1500 cruising range, goose, RV and receiver hitches; all-in-all--just a little modified for towing. <br />85 Mercedes 300SD <br />81 VW DIESEL Pickup - my sweet & immaculate high MPG daily driver <br />66 Bronco (itchin to put a Mercedes 5 cyl into)<br />59 Dexta with 3 banger Perkins Diesel<br />81 Ford 4X4 Compact Diesel tractor<br />I\'ve driven only diesels since 1979-I think I am a convert. <br />DP # 1146

NH2112 Guest

Did they give the reasons as to why the body lifts won't work on a diesel? I've done a few body lifts in my lifetime and I can't think of any reason why a diesel would be any different when it comes to sticking spacers between the body and frame. The spacers aren't supporting any more weight than with a gasser, the I6 is narrower overall than a V8, and anything mounted to the body can either be lengthened (shift linkages, ground cables, etc) or lowered (radiator.) Watch the angles at the rag joint!

Lightbulb

I have no clue on why kits would work with gasser and not diesel. I am still shopping and learning.
    I also have no clue (yet) why the kits seem to work aroung the 92-93 years.

My drive-lines will not be affected in joint pitch.

Turbo Al Guest

Thumbs up

DogDiesel, I was wondering where Fort Bragg was? What is a used Cummins worth these days? You used the Chev NV4500 that came with the truck? All too interesting, you will have to write a story and sumbmit it for us want to know fellows.
    thanks Al

Red face

I think I'll get 'er running before any bragging starts. She still sits on the trailer. I just don't have the time to work on it. Not until July. I have about a week of tinkering on it. I plan to finish it in mid July

Wayne [img]smile.gif[/img]

Lightbulb

Fort Bragg is in North Carolina. It is the home of the US Army's 82d Airborne Division and several special forces groups.
    The 82d is called the "All American" Division because in WW-II, it took taking men from all over the US to find enough that were fit enough to become airborne paratroopers, and carry all that weight. Name stuck. All American.
    Fayetteville, the nearest town to the base calls itself the All American City.
    Wayne

This August - for instance - I take a job in Maryland. Just three years ago I was in Oklahoma... I'm kinda all american in location.

Turbo Al Guest

Thumbs up

Thanks for the History lesson and location, I guess most of the people from the USA know where it is but up here in Canada I was in the dark
    I would like to point out that the New Venture trans in the Chev truck is NOT the same as the one in the Dodge/Cummings combo. They are not suppose to be interchangeable You probably know this allready but just in case you don't.
    www.newventuregear.com
    www.advanceadapers.com

Al

I'm told the differences are the input shaft, and the front bell housing.

I wish I could have found a deal on a dodge engine, and tranny, at least the dodge bell housing. I then could use a 13.25" clutch assy. I am limited to 12" now. I do believe the LUK 12" I installed will do.

We'll know in July.
    Wayne

If the hood closing is the MAIN reason you need the body lift you might check into an aftermarket hood like the one on the DMAX Power Project truck. It won't address teh tranny clearence and it might not fix the hood closure problem either, but it would sure be simple if it did.
    From the Power Project truck it looks like the intercooler shoehorning job is a doosy as well!

Good Luck!
    2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD CC D/ZF SB Fire Red 2WD no longer the fastest stocker up the hill at the TDP Pull Off. -sold-
    2004 Chevy Suburban 5.3L 2WD
    1996 GMC Sierra 1500 5.0L 5sp 2WD LB

How much room do you figure you need?Where in Maryland will they have you stationed?I have a"RamAir"hood from Keystone,needs some `glass repair,just a thought.
    aka:Tim

`91 V2500 Scottsdale Suburban:6.2 4L80E 4"Lift 35s
    `92 K3500 SLE SRW:Peninsular6.5TD Peninsular 5spd
    `72 K20 CustomDeluxe Highlander CustomCamper
    `72 K20 CheyenneSuper CustomCamper
    `72 K2500 SierraGrande
    `71 K10 CustomDeluxe 6' Fleetside

The reply I got about the body lift was that the radiator looses a large amount of cooling capacity from being blocked by the grill. Not a problem if you can modify it to work. That was the only issue with the body lift.
    I'm adding an intercooler and a body lift later, which will require the rad to be set back towards the engine for intercooler clearance between the rad and the grill, in turn deleting the factory fan and replacing with elec fans for cooling.
    Hope this helps.
    1997 GMC 1500 Sierra 6.5td, auto, 6" dick cepek lift, 35" ssr swampers on pro comp wheels. J code intake, AFE stage 2 cold air intake, wester's perf flash, marine injectors, 4" exhaust w/ 2.5" x-over, more to come...

1988 Chevy Blazer Banks Turbo'd 6.2/700r4, 4" lift, 33" dick cepek f/c tires, Banks stinger exhaust, waaaay more to come...