Thread: Rear Diff Fill Plug Gasket

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question

Hey,

I serviced my rear diff and now its leaking a bit from the fill plug. Is there some sort of gasket that's supposed to be on there that I lost? I don't remember seeing one.

Thanks,

Ryan
    Member, Cedar Creek RV Club<br />02 Chevy Ext Cab LB D/A Black<br />2003 Cedar Creek 30RLBS<br />Husky 16K hitch<br />Schefenacker TTT Mirrors

Wink

Hey Ram,
    Just went to the garage and took the plug off of mine to check...nope, there's no gasket between the plug and the cover. (My differential cover is shelved, I replaced it with a MAG-HYTEC cover) You may just have to torque your plug a little more? oops almost forgots...welcome to the baord!
    2002 Pewter GMC CC D/A Long Bed 4X4 <br />Mag-Hytec Diff. Cover<br />Bedrug bed cover<br />Pace Edwards electric rollbed cover<br />Transfer Flow 56 gal fuel tank<br />Banks 4\" Exhaust<br />Kodiak Electric steps<br />Red Line Synthetic Lubricants <br />(from head to toe)<br />Amsoil Air Filter<br />FilterMag - Super,Duper oil filter magnet<br />Super Magnet - Magnetic engine oil pan plug

Ram first, welcome the TDP , you will find a wealth of information and persons willing to assist with problems and lots of information.
    I had the same problem after having my differential serviced at a dealer in Portland, OR. I had it checked here in Anchoeage at the GM dealer. I watched as the technician drained a small amount of fluid. Now it seems to be okay. Before it would leak sitting in the garage.
    Good luck and enjoy your new truck.

BoB

On my G80, there is a nylon/plastic washer used as a gasket/seal. ~ odoh
    \'02 Summit White Silverado 2500HD D/A EC 4x4 Shorty. Pristine stock except for a pair of alternators, 4WD Dashlite, OD Lockout, HiSpeed Idle, SteelHorse SS stys, TurboLiner sheet metal stiffener, Astro topper, InvincaShield front, Cabelas ClearTrim rocker panels, GMC underseat toy chest, Banks gauges, Prodigy, Kennedy Headlight Booster. Okay, its not so \'pristine\' anymore. Neither am I.<p>http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=odoh

Thanks for the assistance. I pulled my fill plug. A little extra came out, not much. Torqued the plug back and cleaned everything up. If it still leaks, I'm going to put a teflon washer on it. My truck goes to the dealer on Tuesday for some kind of leak behind the left rear tire. I don't want to bring it in leaking differential fluid, or do I?

Also, thanks for the welcome. This site has been the most informative of any I've been on for any product. It has been a huge help.
    Member, Cedar Creek RV Club<br />02 Chevy Ext Cab LB D/A Black<br />2003 Cedar Creek 30RLBS<br />Husky 16K hitch<br />Schefenacker TTT Mirrors

Jimamatic Guest

Talking

I too have a nylon/plastic washer type a deal on my G80. No leaky.....

Jim
    --------------
    2001 Chevy 4wd cc sb d/a