Thread: Tool for coolant drain plugs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Tool for coolant drain plugs

My engine's out of the truck and I'm surprised that the threaded coolant drain plug requires some odd tool to remove it. The plug looks like it should be removed with a square 3/8" socket wrench, but my 3/8" is too big and my 1/4" is too small.

Does anybody know what tool will fit these plugs?

What I really want to do is remove the same size threaded plugs in the rear of the block in search of that spring-loaded oil cooler bypass valve. Just want to make sure that valve is functional before reassembling the engine and I figure its hidden behind one of those threaded plugs that match the coolant drain plugs.

The oil filter bypass valve was easy to check. With the filter adapter removed from the block it was easily accessible.
    Black 95 6.5TD, 929 block, 173k miles, 65k on IP, 48k miles on self-rebuilt engine done in '09, 6 L&S Full-torque inserts in outer main crank holes, Clearwater heads, Fluidamper, rebuilt NV4500, 3" downpipe, 4" exhaust, no cat, dual T-stats, 9 blade fan, spin-on 180 degree clutch, Heath hi-flow water pump and turbomaster, PMD relocated, OPS relay mod, Heath PROM upgrade, and Kennedy headlight harness upgrade soon. Now use semi-syn Lucas 2-cycle oil every fill-up which greatly reduces the frequency of DTC 35-36 codes the PCM/ECM throws.

The valve you're referring to should have been removed during hot-tank and vatting.

The valve will be underneath a cup plug in the oil filter boss. The plug in question will be a 7/8" Diameter plug with a .060" hole drilled into it. Underneath that plug lies the oil cooler bypass valve.

No threaded plugs to remove to see that guy. Removing the plug mentioned above requires a threaded fitting on a slide hammer to remove. Yes, a pain...

J