Thread: LLY Fuel Filtration

My LLY should be delivered next week. Everything I've seen indicates that additional fuel filtration is almost mandatory if you plan on keeping your Duramax for a long time and don't want injector problems. I haven't seen anyone with info on the LLY injectors as to whether they are less prone to fuel cleanliness problems, or whether the new LLY filter is any better than the LB7 smaller one.
    So, I'm down to either Kennedy's Mega or Racor pre-filter. I know that pre OEM doesn't make as much sense as post from a filtration standpoint, but I want a 2 micron filter that is easily changed and installed outside the engine compartment without lift pumps or other problems. Does anyone have the Mega mounted pre-OEM underneath on the frame? And with a 2 micron filter mounted pre-OEM - either Mega or Racor - what kind of reasonable service life can you expect before they get too dirty to restrict flow? Why doesn't someone make a OEM replacement 2 micron filter that I could change every 5,000 miles & just be done with it?

Wink

I have the Racor Pre/2u on the frame. It states replacement after 11k on the filter. It currently has 9k and no problems. This is the 2nd filter and the first went 11k no problem also.
    I'm also on my second set of injectors and The pre/Oem filter and Stanadyne additive have been used since day one. Truck has 21kmi on it!!!
    I think filtration is important indeed but I also feel there is a major design flaw as well. Hopefully this new set of injectors will last but I highly doubt it.
    I wonder how many trucks are running out there where they don't show the bad symptoms but the injectors are out of spec? If everyone ran a diognostic I bet we'd see a lot more problems with them.
    Other than the fuel system I love my truck.

Enjoy your's!
    2003 Chevy 2500HD LT CC/DA, LineX, AmsoilBypass & 2 Stage Air, Superplug Drain Plug, Raycor 660S Pre/OEM, Westin Nerfs.

Everyone has beat the filtration issue to death because of the ongoing injector failures . But, if you had a 2 micron filter on since new and still had to replace injectors, then perhaps the injectors are just a bad design and the stock filtration may be adequate if the injectors were better. Does anyone have info on the new LLY injectors ? Are they the same design as any others that have proven to be less prone to failure ? Also, are the larger LLY filters any better than the previous Lb7 filters ? You'd think after three years of production and changes that this problem would be solved. Hopefully it will not be a problem on my new truck.

okauto,
    CAT had the same problems back in the late 90's & the only way they could fix them was the second filter, which they still use.I think this is a major clue that the problem is not limited to D/MAX.
    chipper 2001 GMC,,D/MAX,SLE,EXT CAB,LONGBED,LINEX,FIRESTONE AIR BAGS,,driv\'en it & smilling, 32' Excel 5er

OK, does anyone make a better 2 micron filter that will screw onto the OEM filter housing ? I would be more than willing to change it every 5,000 miles - every time I change the oil if it would do the trick without adding another complete filter system ? Or, is there a problem with putting a 2 micron better filter OEM that I am not aware of ?

okauto,
    Go here for pics of an adapter built by "corndog" last Sept. Don't know if he marketed it or not. <<<http://www.oldmacksrus.com/duramax_p...tm>>>
    chipper 2001 GMC,,D/MAX,SLE,EXT CAB,LONGBED,LINEX,FIRESTONE AIR BAGS,,driv\'en it & smilling, 32' Excel 5er

OC_DMAX Guest

CAT had erosion of the nozzles which was a result of insufficient fuel filtration. They went to a supplemental filter design.

Per the information GM just released, the injectors on my 2002 truck also suffer from "ball seat erosion". However, there is another component of the injector failures on the DMAX. Per the same GM document, it also mentions "cracked injector bodies". So while extra filtration may mitigate the "ball seat erosion", it is unlikely to have any effect on "cracked injector bodies". The GM document did not indicate whether or when they fixed the cracked injector body design defect. In another post, More Power indicated it had been fixed. However, on various forums I am still seeing posts of failed injectors on LLY's. So time will tell (maybe there are other problems still to be addressed).

I have a $45k truck that may develop an injector problem that has been ongoing for 4 years. It makes me uncomfortable. Period. Lost time is as important as money when you work 60 hours a week and want to enjoy some quality, rare, free time. I am willing to do supplemental filtration, meticulous maintenance, or ongoing beta testing if it will lead to a superior product. But, I am reluctant to ho hum into a problem that should have been resolved. GM's Duramax should absolutely own the market, especiallly with the Allison and a superior chassis/ride/interior behind it. All it needs is trust, durability, and longevity. Today's market with Dodge's tranny, body/cabin challenges, and Ford's 6.0 engine/computer/durability problems present a unique opportunity for GM. This may be rocket science compared to a '57 Chev., but surely someone can cure the remaining anomylies and have a product that has runaway fun written all over it. What can we do additionally to help GM fix out trucks ? The problems appear to come down to filtration and injector longevity as #1 / maybe a larger tank on short box crew cabs / and a factory OEM tire size that is aligned with what current owners are really using (at least LT265/75R16's on 2500HD's).

A simple fix for the ones currently on the road would be a huge attaboy for future purchasers.

Giddy - Up Let's get er done.

Angry

It all comes down to money GM has to spend. For example, their is a steering rattle that has plagued GM for several years. Ive had my truck into the dealer 7 times and it still exists. The dealer told me straight out, that there still isn't a fix and the 04's have it as well.
    I just pulled out the stock shocks. At 20k mi. they were completely trashed! I hear now the 04 doesn't get stainless exaust, another cutback!
    They are just getting cheaper and cheaper. I'm sure Ford and Chrysler are as well.
    If better filtration was all that was involved in solving the injector problems I think GM would have added better filtrtion rather than redesign the Valve/Cover fuel system so they could replace the injectors faster/easier. Don't you?
    What I'm afraid of is Japan getting the real opportunity.
    2003 Chevy 2500HD LT CC/DA, LineX, AmsoilBypass & 2 Stage Air, Superplug Drain Plug, Raycor 660S Pre/OEM, Westin Nerfs.

I'm afraid you're right. If Toyota made a 2500 sized truck with a performing diesel - all the domestic diesel mfgs. would take a hit. I am just hopeful that the new external injectors will not be as prone to failure as the predecessors. And, if additional filtration will help then I'll do it. In any event, I am really anxious to get my truck. I've studied all the major players, and without a doubt this one is the leader.