Thread: Want to convert beater Corvette to Diesel

Default Want to convert beater Corvette to Diesel

Hey folks, newbie here with a strange request.

I have hated, absolutely loathed our dependence on oil/gas/foreign oil for a loooong time now.

I also love Corvettes. I've got a 79 beater. What better way to thumb my nose at the Middle East than to take a gas guzzling nightmare like a Corvette and turn it into a veggie oil loving diesel?

So this project is in 2 parts

1) Convert car to diesel

2) Convert Diesel into runner on straight veggie oil.

I have the 2nd part down in that many companies do this now.

Its the first I have no idea how to accomplish.

What needs to be replaced? What diesel engine should I use?

Please help. Its been a crazy dream of mine for a long time.

Tony

PS: I'd be happy to wrap the car in an advertising skin in exchange for any services provided for this project.

You mean something like this?

http://www.thedieselpage.com/readers/vet.htm

Just letting you know it can be done...
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

First off, Welcome to TDP

We have one of those around here
    The fellow started with an L82 Vette with a broken mouse motor and stuffed in a 6.5

Just so you have something to think about. Very little of our current oil supplies come from the sand box.
    The "vast" majority of our imported oil comes from Canada and Mexico.

Now I think the Diesel Vette is a way kewl swap.

The components can mix and match pretty easy.

Use a big block radiator so you can cool it.
    The 6.2 or 6.5 can be dropped in. You can run a turbo if you desire or you can run N/A

The serp belt drive system from the 6.5 can be used. The 92-95 setup will bolt right on and probably put the AC pump right where you need it as well as the alternator and other accessories.

The motor mounts will allow the diesel to sit right in and if the Vette had a TH400 tranny you can bolt it right up. The use of a Big block converter would be best (Or one from a diesel rig)
    The vacuum controls for the modulator can be used from the early trucks and this part is readily available from GM.

If you go with a manual tranny be sure to use the proper flywheel for the diesel as they are an externally ballanced engine and the flywheel is different than either a Mouse or a Rat unit.

The DB2 injection pump can easily be wired up using your ignition input lead to power the IP on and most all the rest of the wiring for gauges and such can be hooked right up to the diesel using the senders that were used on the Vette.

The cold advance will need an ignition switched lead that runs throughthe temp switch on the Rear of the RH head and this runs to the cold advance terminal and the fast idle solenoid on the IP.

The power steering and such can all be plumbed in using either exisitng hoses or custom ones depending on the need.

If you want a real mileage getter, a 6.2 N/A with the small precups will do nicely.

Have fun and if we can help along the way, just ask.

Best

Robyn
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Default so who would I use for this project?

I'm not so sure I have the ability to do this myself. I will probably have to use a reman'd engine.

Surely if I took the vette to a diesel engine mechanic they could install it??

Robyn, you are correct that our oil comes mainly from Canada and Mexico, which inflames me even more since we should have more insulation from World Market pricing with these two supposed allies. Just goes to show that todays gas prices are artificially inflated.

I live in Arizona, any of you from here and if so can you recommend a place that will do this? I have the Greasecar portion figured out, but the installer of the diesel is tough. I wish I had the knowhow to do this myself, but I know finance and real estate more than I will ever know cars I'm afraid.

Thanks for your help and welcome. I promise once Rebelene the Vette gets a heart transplant I will show pics.

Thanks

Tony

My experience has been that oddball engine swaps are more often than not "labors of love" because the cost to have someone do it for you ends up being cost prohibitive... Not to say that people don't have it done, but you're talking deep pockets most of the time. The reason being because it isn't a simple and done deal - much time is spent cutting and fitting and fabricating things and working on it until it is right.
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

The oil prices are a direct result of investors and the world demand for the product rather than an artificial inflation.

The diesel Vette swap is no biggy. If you can rebuild a briggs and stratton mower engine and do a good job this swap is within your grasp.

Forget that the 6.2/6.5 is diesel. First off its a V8 engine and has all the same basic parts as any V8

The swapping part is pretty much a bolt in thing using existing GM stuff.

There will be very little if any need to fabricate or modify stuff.

The exhaust system is about the only thing that will have to be built and these are best left to a shop with a tube bender and such anyway.

I have fabricated a few exhaust systems over the years from scratch but it always sucked.

Never had any issues but when a tube bender is available along with a nice hoist it goes far easier.

Now if you try to farm this out the cost is going to get steep and fast.

Gather your goodies and we can pretty much help you through the project.

Lots of folks here that have an aggregate experience with these diesels that amounts to a lot of years.

Best

Robyn
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Default need further clarification

The oil prices are a direct result of investors and the world demand for the product rather than an artificial inflation.
    I think this is generally true but the price of gas, though related to the price of crude is not so related such that when crude goes up the gas prices rise as quickly as they do. It's almost instantaneous though finished gas inventory is several months or longer. For example, my neighborhood gas station went from 2.75 per gallon to 3.30 within a week. Used Veggie Oil is, for the time being much more stable-y priced

The diesel Vette swap is no biggy. If you can rebuild a briggs and stratton mower engine and do a good job this swap is within your grasp.

Forget that the 6.2/6.5 is diesel. First off its a V8 engine and has all the same basic parts as any V8

The swapping part is pretty much a bolt in thing using existing GM stuff.
    I'm so in love at this point that perhaps marriage...oh never mind!

There will be very little if any need to fabricate or modify stuff.
    So how much is 'little' for example, the wire harness' from the dash and the engine....can that be used as is? Probably not.

Assuming I have a full set of mechanics' tools and a cherrypicker for the engine what else would I need? An engine obviously, my exhaust is currently non existent having rusted off.... so besides those two things what else will I need? A new transmission? I have the stock one that mates with the current 350 Chevy.

I wish someone could generate for me a reasonably all inclusive parts list so I can go forth and spend the money.

Lots of folks here that have an aggregate experience with these diesels that amounts to a lot of years.
    Thanks Robyn, and thanks to everyone in advance for all your help.

Tony

Arrow

The exhaust is just one end of it. You will also need to get air into it. An intake system will likely need to be fab'd.

You will need a vacuum pump. Either the engine driven pump (goes where the distributor is on your 350, or acc. driven on 6.5's) or an electric. Your HVAC controls are vacuum actuated, as the auto tranny may be, also. You may get away with an electric pump, but they're noisy and output is generally much lower. The Diesel brake assist system is hydroboost (uses hydraulic power from the power steering pump) for this reason. You will need a hydroboost unit and matching master cylinder. Do not try to use a vacuum pump for brake assist. The volume just isn't there when you need it. There's a huge difference between a 2 CID vacuum pump, vs. a 350 CID vacuum pump.

You will need a return line to the fuel tank. No way around that one.

The 6.2/6.5 Diesel engines were designed to work in the GM V-8 environment. Most all the parts will match up, but may need to be the Diesel counterpart or upgraded. If you are after some power (the 6.5TD is very respectable, built correctly), you will have to consider cooling and transmission needs. A TH350 won't hold up to that torque. If you have a manual, that could be a problem as well. A N/A 6.2/6.5 would probably do fine in front of your current tranny. If an auto, you will want a Diesel torque converter. A 700R4 would work very well (and fit), and offer the best mileage.

Lots of things to consider (many not listed yet), so don't go into it without a plan, and lots of patients.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post

Lots of things to consider (many not listed yet), so don't go into it without a plan, and lots of patients.
    Talk about a Freudian Slip.... Dmax I think you meant patience. Veggie might have a lot of patients by the time this project is completed!!
    Scott
    St. Louis, MO

'06 Silverado K2500 4x4 Crew Cab D/A "Big Max" AmpResearch retractable Running Boards, 4" Turbo back Kennedy Exhaust, Kennedy Custom Tune!
    '99 BMW K1200LT "Special K" my other "SUV"
    '07 Salem by Forest River Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler

Damn spell checker! You too
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

hehehehe I knew what you meant
    Scott
    St. Louis, MO

'06 Silverado K2500 4x4 Crew Cab D/A "Big Max" AmpResearch retractable Running Boards, 4" Turbo back Kennedy Exhaust, Kennedy Custom Tune!
    '99 BMW K1200LT "Special K" my other "SUV"
    '07 Salem by Forest River Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler