Thread: Which fan/fan clutch do I really want?

Thumbs down Which fan/fan clutch do I really want?

I have a 98 K3500 w/ the 6.5L diesel engine. I've got all sorts of work and upgrades in process but I'm confused about one thing - the fan and clutch.

The stock fan is 9 blade, but not sure about size. After reading a bit, I ordered an ACDelco 15-80690 thinking it was an upgraded fan but it looks almost identical to what I have now, only plastic.

So my first question is what fan am I really looking for?

Then comes the fan clutch. The Kennedy fan is highly recommended but I'm really not wanting to spend $175 on the fan clutch if I don't have to. I also hear a lot about the Hayden units but they have enough different versions to make my head spin, and they're pretty pricey too. I'm also confused about the bolt on vs thread on, but I'm pretty sure mine is bolt on as there's four bolt holes on the WP hub.

So what brand/model of clutch do I want? Keep in mind that my truck needs to pull a 12,000 pound fifth wheel through the mountains in upper Michigan during the summer when temps can routinely run up to 100 degrees, and of course, I need my A/C too.

If someone could give me part numbers or a place to pick this stuff up at, at a good cost, I couldn't thank you enough. I'd even purchase these from someone on here if they're available!

Chris
    Last edited by campionc; 10-31-2014 at 21:04.

Hello

Considering what you are asking the truck to do, the only good plan is the Kennedy clutch and the Dmax Fan

If you have 4 bolts, then that is the type you have.

Does your rig have the dual thermostat setup or single ????

Has the water pump been upgraded to the high output unit ????

The best combination for heavy pulling is

HO water pump
    Dual Tstat crossover
    Kennedy Clutch
    Dmax fan

How many miles on the radiator ?????

If the Radiator has 100k plus its generally at the end of its road.

Visteon makes a real deal OEM replacement for that truck that is as good or better than what came with it.
    Many replacements are junk, and have epoxied cores. These ARE A WASTE OF TIME

Even if the Rad looks good, they tend to silt in and build up crud deep in the core where it can't be seen.
    This cuts down on the ability of the tubes to reject the heat.

Also be sure all the fins in the other parts of the stack (AC EVAP) are clean and clear of debris.

That's about the long and short of the mechanical stuff.

The big issue is the 12k trailer, as that will take the cooling system to task real quick, not to mention the 100F temps of summer.

Ahhhh, one last tid bit.

BE SURE THE NOSTRILS IN THE BUMPER ARE IN STOCK TRIM WITH THE DEFLECTORS BEHIND THEM.

These are very important.
    Many times we see fog lights and other stuff in these holes.

The nostrils are very important for cooling.

Hope this helps

Missy
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Missy,

Thank you so much for your reply. I did get a new quality radiator, and the truck already had dual stats. I am pretty sure it already has a HO water pump but got a new one anyway along with new hoses and stats.

As for the bumper nostrils, there isn't anything in the way. Unfortunately my truck met the back end of a Toyota the day before I picked up my fifth wheel, so I got a salvaged bumper complete with the correct valance. It actually came from a guy here in Fenton, Michigan who supplies Heath Diesel with his ECMs.

I also went to a 4" exhaust, new glow plugs, controller, harness, and Standard injectors, #9 resistor, got some HD Fleet Charge coolant, and two bottles of Water Wetter. Next summer when the bed comes off I'm going to replace the lift pump as well.

I will order the KD fan clutch as you suggest, but I'm really not sure what fan I ended up with when I ordered it. Can you give me a part number for the Duramax fan, or confirm that the Delco fan number I posted in my original post is the correct one? Part numbers for what I need would really help so I can make sure I'm getting the right stuff.

Nothing but the best for my "Drooly"!!!

Thanks again,
    Chris

Smile

Hi Chris,
    I recently installed the Kennedy 20" fan and calibrated clutch on my 94 sub. Post install I pulled the priest road (8 degree grade) and the grape vine when it was 103 F. I could hear the clutch engage at 185, keeping things cool, never exceeding 200 F. The last time I went to Tahoe my temp would climb past 210F regularly. His clutch and fan kit are the real deal...
    04 GMC Sierra, 4x4
    94 suburban, 4x4
    84 suburban, 6.2 with Banks. Turbo 400 w/4.10's. Ex-Fire truck.
    83 Volvo 760 turbo diesel. Yea it's ugly, but it gets 40 mpg on the highway...

Smile

Thanks everyone! I took y'alls advice, returned all the other crap I bought, and ordered the Kennedy clutch and fan. I plan on running the 195 (although ACDelco lists it at 190) stats, per what I read on Kennedy's site (I think).

Along with my MANY other upgrades, including:

Custom built 3.5" Airaid intake
    R" Diamond Eye exhaust w/ muffler delete
    Complete LED & HID lighting upgrade
    New glow plugs, injectors, relay, harness, and injection lines
    Onboard air system (150 PSI) w/ Siberian Express train horns
    Complete turbo service
    Jensen head unit w/ flip out screen, bluetooth and Sirius
    Locking tailgate handle
    Locking tri-fold tonneau cover
    And more that I can't think of at the moment...

I'll post pictures and results when done (although I have new body panels and paint that won't be done till next year).